Gloss black (updated)

AdamR

Yes and no. Mr Color Clear Gloss does work nicely and dries very quickly, but it doesn't have much "body" and you have to shoot a large amount on to get a high gloss finish. Quite strange, using Mr Color Gloss Black I don't have to shoot on any more paint than I normally would to get that high gloss finish, but you sure do have to use a lot with the clear. IMNSHO, that makes it a bit too expensive to use as a general gloss coating since a 14 ml bottle won't last very long when you're doing LSP's. 

^^Truth.

What about their clear gloss?  Does it perform the same?

• 1 year later...
Guest Peterpools

I pretty much have switched for all my gloss black work whether the base for a NMF or just plain awesome gloss black to MRP now, with Mr Color running a very close second. No primer used at all, just slowly building up the gloss black, first with a few light mist coats and then I flow on the MRP. Sometimes I will add a few drops of retarder to keep the MRP Gloss Black very wet for a ultra smooth surface.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

When it comes to using either MRP Super Gloss Black or Mr Color Gloss back, especially as a base for either Alclad or AK Metallics, I have had no problems at all with adhesion or durability. I just make sure the plastic is free and clear of finger prints and oils, even though I thoroughly washed the parts prior to assembly.  A wipe down with Isopropyl, let dry and a follow up with a tack rag and ready to go. Using MRP Super Gloss Black MRP-172, I do a few mist coats for adhesion and then build up the wet coats. I always add retarder to the MRP paint to insure the paint will flow and stay wet while it sits down. For major parts, I do go overboard and let the paint set up for 24 hours. For small parts, an hour and I'm ready to go.

I'm so happy with both gloss blacks, I would never consider using anything else.

Peter

Mr Color has a gloss black too. It comes in a larger bottle not the usual 10ml size, I have a bottle of it. I think its the GX brand. Gloss Black GX. Of course its a lacquer and it is the most glossy paint I have used to date. Looks to be pretty good. I am switching over to Lacquers more and more. The Spitfire I am doing is mostly lacquers. 

Guest Peterpools

I also use Mr Color paints as much as MRP and thank you for the lead on the larger bottle. I go through it like water.

Have you tried products from the non-model market?

I use only CR (Car Refinisches) products that give a definitely better effect and a very high gloss.

If you want, I can show you some photos of high-gloss models.

Have you tried products from the non-model market?

I use only CR (Car Refinisches) products that give a definitely better effect and a very high gloss.

If you want, I can show you some photos of high-gloss models.

Yes please !

I would love to see some of the results. Please show us some of Your results and if possible photographs, taken at different angles in regard to the surface. I'm pretty convinced there are other products out there that produce a marvelous glossy sheen, but as You know we also look for things such as "orange-skin effect's", etc., etc.. I would also appreciate it if You could tell us some more regarding thinning down these paints in order to "push" them through an airbrush...

Kind regards,

Rudy.

I use PPG or AkzoNobel products, I always try to make the product of the RFU not more than 16 sec. and I use aero with 0,3-0,35.
I use Sata Dekor or Devillbis Dagr for the clearcoat application.
The products are always prepared in express set (with Fast Thiner and Fast Hardener).

PPG products:

D8175 + D8305 + D8745 Mixing ratio: 2:2:1 drying time 1-1,5godz
Nexa Autocolor
P190-6659 + P210-872 + P852-1689 Mixing ratio: 3:1:1 drying time 45-60min

Akzo Nobel:

Sikkens Autoclear rapid + Sikkens Auto Rapid Hardener + Sikkens Plus Reducer Mixing ratio: 2:1+25% Drying time 2godz - This product gives a fantastic Gloss and small Orange peal.

DynaCoat

Clear 9000 + Hardener 420 + Thiner 420 Extra Speed Mixing ratio 2:1+25%, Drying time 45-60min

These products need better atomization so you have to use a higher pressure I use min 2.5bar.
Apply: one wet layer, after drying, I never polished.
After using the 2K products you must clean the airbrush very well!

Wjwwjxs.jpg?1Acs0d8O.jpg?1UA3fnIB.jpg?1DXfty1n.jpg?1xmejlv3.jpg?17WJymM3.jpg?1BvpjmvT.jpg?1by9WmfC.jpg?1aJDBhi2.jpg?1vhbJ94W.jpg?1

All given materials can be applied to WB and SB products

• 3 weeks later...

I may be a bit different, but I use the Zero Paints Gloss Black.  Been using it on Lotus F1 cars, and it sprays absolutely beautiful, and is bulletproof.  Not to mention being a lacquer, doesn't have the three week long curing process enamel gloss blacks seem to have.  Plan to use it on my upcoming Harrier T.8

Matt 

Ive recently just acquired some "super gloss black" from MRP.  I normally go with MM gloss black that has a good drying time of a few hours, but given how wonderfully the MRP paints work, Im hoping their super gloss black will be just as good, with a similarly astoundingly short drying time.   

Anyone used this stuff yet?

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

I've been using MRP Super Gloss Black stright on the bare plastic as either a primer for NMF's or for just gloss black. sweet as sugar and twice as nice.

I shoot it straight from the bottle with about 4 drops of Gunze Mild retarder added to a halfi oz mixing cup and it makes a huge difference in keeping the paint 'wet' so it flows and self levels.  I like to use either of my Iawta guns with a .35 or .5 tip for the larger spray pattern but still shoot at about 12-15 psi tops. I start with a few light mist, tack coats and then just two wet coats and the gloss is beautiful. Honestly, I've never needed once to polish the gloss black as it dries beautifully smooth. I also consistently get the same results with Mr Color Gloss Black.

Peter

Hi Brian

I've been using MRP Super Gloss Black stright on the bare plastic as either a primer for NMF's or for just gloss black. sweet as sugar and twice as nice.

I shoot it straight from the bottle with about 4 drops of Gunze Mild retarder added to a halfi oz mixing cup and it makes a huge difference in keeping the paint 'wet' so it flows and self levels.  I like to use either of my Iawta guns with a .35 or .5 tip for the larger spray pattern but still shoot at about 12-15 psi tops. I start with a few light mist, tack coats and then just two wet coats and the gloss is beautiful. Honestly, I've never needed once to polish the gloss black as it dries beautifully smooth. I also consistently get the same results with Mr Color Gloss Black.

Peter

Perfect!

Exactly what I was hoping to hear!  Good news, and not all that unexpected as their normal semi-gloss acrylic lacquers shoot like a dream.

Thanks buddy!