PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

Be forewarned that there have been some issues with the bulkhead aft of the landing gear.  It may line up on the outside but there will be a step on the inside between each half.  This can be corrected by extending the shorter side and rescribing the detail.  It unfortunately isn't easily noticed until after some major work has already been done.

Be forewarned that there have been some issues with the bulkhead aft of the landing gear.  It may line up on the outside but there will be a step on the inside between each half.  This can be corrected by extending the shorter side and rescribing the detail.  It unfortunately isn't easily noticed until after some major work has already been done.

Pheew, you had me going there! I allready had the bulkhead by the wheelwells, glued in place.

So iI have tryed dryfitting two of the other bulkheads to see how everything lines up.

Everything looks nice and seems to fit well together.

7698-300617142740-111341430.jpeg

7698-300617142740-111331441.jpeg

7698-300617142739-111321886.jpeg

7698-300617142739-1113030.jpeg

Also all the exterior steps line up nicely. Perhaps the casting procedure can come out differently?

Regards: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

Hope this shows and you can see it.  It would have to be a slight warpage in the mold as this is an obvious flaw.  However, considering its location, I believe it can be easily hidden, but since you are doing the cutouts...

P1010259_zpsh7q4z9kr.jpg

BTW, this isn't mine.  I haven't checked mine yet.

Edited by nichenson

Have you seen this before?  It's Monogram 1/48, and I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when I saw it!  :o

I've seen Wolf's build before, and it's absolutely amazing. the level of scratch building and to the degree he's accomplished it, is just mind boggling. 

Joel

I have seen Jorge Roberto Wolf's AMAZING work and he's MY non LSP Hero.

Maru,

It must be that much more amazing in person. I've never seen any pictures of it finished or even much past the separate fuselage half stage. Wonder if he ever finished it?

Joel

Hi Kent,

I'm loving what you're doing with the cutaway.

My Catalina build is currently stalled as I've distracted myself with a 1/16 King Tiger armour build. However, I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. If it's anything like your B25 it will be stunning.

The step in the fuselage picture shown on the previous page is an issue I found with my kit. (The picture is of my build from the large scale modeller forum.) I was going add some plastic to the shorter step and blend it with the other half. I don't think it would be too difficult to achieve.

Keep up the great work

Paul

• 2 months later...

Not a build update, but this summer I was fortunate to stumble across a most tantalizing story.

I read this book during my holiday...

7698-100917203401-12163250.jpeg

It's one of those stories were factual events are much more fantastic than any fiction writer would ever invent.

If your ever gonna read a book on flying during world war 2, this would be the one... Fabulous! 

And now I have a new strong candidate for my PBY-build...

Maybe this one will stick?

Edited by kkarlsen