HK Models 1/32 Meteor Mk 4

LSP_Kevin

Thanks fellas. Cockpit's nearly done; just got to finish installing the airscale decals into the instrument panel. Here are the component pieces, painted and weathered:

pEZy9y.jpg

I3YVnH.jpg

65kBnM.jpg

kar8wG.jpg

Any suggestions on what colour to paint what I assume is the seat cushion? I'm having a hard time finding much in the way of cockpit photos for the F.4, so I'm not sure if it was some kind of leathery brown thing, or canvas, or something else. Suggestions welcome!

The unpainted apparatus at the front of the cockpit tub is, I think, the attachment point for the nose wheel leg. I'll paint that area silver before installing it into the fuselage.

Here's the assembled cockpit tub, minus seat, control column and IP:

CAyTPb.jpg

The camera flash has made it look a little more grungy than it really is. My main goal was to try to make the all-black cockpit look worn and less mono-tonal. Anyway, I'll be back later with some photos of the finished IP.

Kev

Kev , for cockpit colour details, look here; http://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=29  

I realize this is an F8 and details will vary but the images may be of assistance.

Kais.

Thanks mate. Some very nice photos there (though I notice one appears to be missing - must look into that). The main difference between the F.4 and the F.8 that's defeating me is that (and I stand to be corrected) the latter has a rudimentary ejection seat, whereas the former does not. So looking at F.8 cockpits isn't giving me any clues about the seat cushion. Perhaps I'll just paint it a leathery brown and be done with it.

Kev

Great stuff big Kev! Am looking forward to being able to get my hands on the kit, Aussie version of course. Glad to see you doing a bit of modelling mate.

Thanks Eric. This really is quite a nice kit to build so far. What it lacks in detail it more than makes up for in simplicity and buildability. And yes, it's good to finally get some modelling in!

Kev

Kev,

Great looking work so far!  FWIW Mosquitos during the war had seat cushions like that and they were a sort of bureaucratic green color.  The one in the pics in the Datafile book looks like it's black (which is kind of boring, but probably correct.)

Keep up the great work!

Michael

Nice start Kev. The cockpit looks great.

You could try this option for the seat cushion:......

tn_IPMSNatsandMidlandairmuseum051_zpse41

:whistle:

:innocent:

Looks like someone may have had a little elevated "pucker factor" at the back of that seat and accidentally blew out an O ring!  Yikes!

I'm not a huge Meteor fan but this kit looks very good indeed!  I like the sidewall details and your airscale additions.  I even like the little mini-me included as a nice touch by HKM.  How does the 1/32 kit stack up against published drawings or haven't you done that?  Doesn't matter to me I suppose but at some point, someone will undoubtedly ask.  Have they (HKM) determined a MSRP for it yet?

Edited by TimC

I'm not a huge Meteor fan but this kit looks very good indeed!  I like the sidewall details and your airscale additions.  I even like the little mini-me included as a nice touch by HKM.  How does the 1/32 kit stack up against published drawings or haven't you done that?  Doesn't matter to me I suppose but at some point, someone will undoubtedly ask.  Have they (HKM) determined a MSRP for it yet?

Tim, I have very little info on the Meteor, and no scale drawings as far as I'm aware, so I can't really do that comparison. Besides, I'm avowedly in the "looks like a..." camp with most subjects, so I'm happy to leave the accuracy assessments to someone else. I can say that the cockpit doesn't strike me as especially accurate based on the photos I've seen, but most of those have been of the F.8, which appears to be quite different anyway. I'm having a lot of fun with it though, and the that's the most important thing to me.

Kev

Hey, thanks for all the nice comments fellas. The IP is now finished and installed.

vwEYaw.jpg

YR6blx.jpg

xFB4F9.jpg

I forgot to do the control column, so that'll be next. I think I'll skip the psychedelic seat cover and just go with a leather brown! It might not be strictly accurate, but at least it'll add a bit of colour variation to the black.

Kev