1/32 Fiat RS.14

AlexM

unbelievably good!

this perfectly demonstrates where art meets technology to create perfection - anything is possible in the right hands

i had not seen or heard of this aircraft before and now I have I can see why you chose it, it is simply beautiful

I have my popcorn, my notebook and my comfy chair so please carry on :)

Peter

Great!!!

And yes, mating your model making skills with the know-how of a resin kit manufacturer would be a great option. The tricky part is to find someone who is not only able and interested to cast your 3D model into a resin kit (there are some choices in Germany and neighboring countries), but also a good and reliable business partner. I know some cases were former partners went away in anger (and are still in anger regarding the former cooperation).

Regards

- dutik

Thanks fellas,

your interest is motivating and frightening at the same time :)  For the moment, I will not announce this to be a kit, though I will not conceal that the idea sounds intriguing ...

The next days, the wings (printed with PLA) will receive some more color coats and sanding, so that the surface hopefully becomes nice smooth.

OeY6Wnn.jpg

NyJ08EX.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Way to go Alex! I'm super impressed!. Gorgeous plane and perfect for what scratch building is all about. 

I know from printing things that have commercial value that it gets very intriguing to take that path.  

So, after a some coats of black car paint from the spray can and subsequent sanding, the left wing got a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000 (rudders/flaps still untouched). Great stuff, Mr. Surfacer is modeller's best friend. Need to order more of it. Every wing is printed with two main parts, as the printer can only print objects up to about 20 cm. The conection-seam between the two pats on the left wing is now hardly visible thanks to Mr. Surfacer.

FL5iTVV.jpg

RWj31KR.jpg

CbWOXc0.jpg

"Just realized that I forgott about the wind-driven, retractable generator, housed on the top of the engine nacelle on the right wing  :doh:  Most of it was covered when retracted, but the small propeller was still visible. I'll try to make a recess/slot for the small propeller on the nacelle, hopefully without messing up the whole wing. The covering of the rest of the generator should be scribed on the nacelle."

Edit: Modeller's rule # 1: Always check the reference!

In the Ali d'Italia book about the RS.14, there are two photos clearly showing the wind-driven generator on the right wing of a unpainted aircraft, described to belong to the first production version. But I wonder if this is really a production aircraft. The lack of the upper turret indicates that this might actually be the prototype. On the scale drawing about the Series I version in the middle of the book, the generator appears too. But I couldn't find a single photo of a painted aircraft showing the generator on the right wing.

I checked the original manual for the Series III version and tried to translate the chapter about the electrical equipment. The manual doesn't mention a wind-driven generator. Electricity came from two dynamos mounted to the engines. A plan about the electrical equipment in the manual also just shows those dynamons, but no extra wind-driven generator on the right wing. And the manual contains a photo of the right wing before assembly to the fuselage, showing nothing that indicats the presence of such a wind-driven generator.

I'm not 100 % sure if this is true for earlier Series I and II aircrafts.. But I am inclined to leave off the generator as the only proof of it's existence are two photos that possiby just show the prototype.

I'm glad I didn't make any cut for the generator yet. But another issue appears: I have the bad feeling that the engine nacelle hasn't the right shape at the end, falling too steeply. I'll have to study the few photos showing the upper nacelle more closely .

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

• 3 weeks later...

Little update:

The interior of the RS.14 was partially covered with perforated sheet. To replicate this, I (laboriously) made a 3d-model , which was then printed as a hollow object.

hCyYwpn.jpg

The prefigured holes were drilled through the surface, and the underside of the whole part was cut open. A thin styrene sheet was pulled over by vacuum forming, and the holes were finally drilled with the to-scale diameter (1,2 mm).

1RpMEnB.jpg

f4kTpQF.jpg

At the beginning, I wasn't sure if the whole process works, but I'm pretty happy with the final result:

QDIxC12.jpg

IlBaZDl.jpg

Cheers

Alex