Rules of the Road

LSP_Kevin

Welcome to the Almost OOB! Group Build! To explain the slightly odd title, let me present to you the Rules of the Road.

Duration

The Almost OOB! Group Build will run from 1 July 2012 until 30 June 2013.

Eligible Kits

Any kit notionally considered to belong to the LSP class of kits is eligible for this Group Build, provided that it is built Out Of the Box. For the purposes of this Group Build, OOB is defined as the absence of commercial aftermarket products, with the twin exceptions of seat belts and markings. We will, however, allow you to fabricate your own replacement parts should you wish to. Yes, we will allow scratch-building in our OOB GB! We would, however, encourage you not to get too carried away.

Started kits are allowed, but must be 25% or less complete to be eligible. We won't break out the micrometers, but please honour the spirit of this one.

Exceptions

Any form of commercial aftermarket seat belts is acceptable, whether they be photo-etched, paper, fibre, resin, plastic or carved from lumps of coal (or any other variation not explicitly mentioned here).

Any form of commercial aftermarket markings replacement is also acceptable, whether they be decals or paint masks. This also includes instrument dial and panel decals should you need to fabricate your own instrument panel.

The point of this Group Build is to give you the opportunity for an AMS holiday, while still allowing you the flexibility to perform minor upgrades to the base kit to ensure it is built to your satisfaction, free from the usual OOB compromises.

The Team

Your hosts for this Group Build will be Lou (xmh53wrench) and Brian (Out2gtcha), with support from the rest of the LSP staff.

Prizes

We plan to offer raffle prizes at the conclusion of the Group Build, but the nature and extent of these is yet to be finalised. We'll update this section of the Rules of the Road when they are. Winners will be drawn at random, eligibility being based on having finished an entry. Multiple finished entries will count as one for the purposes of the draw.

Have fun!

Kev

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Added info about 25% rule

HOT DARN!!! :clap2: :punk: :yahoo: :frantic:

Now, just to make sure, if I choose the Trumpeter MiG-21MF that is supplied with some resin and PE, this is acceptable, correct?

Regarding markings, are we looking at a/c that do or have lived?

(I have a set of decals for the above mentioned, a Polish bird with Swordfish, but have never been able to pin down if one really was painted as such in real life.)

:beer:

Cheers,

Dave

AH HAH!! It did exist!

Thanks Martin.

(Is it just me, or is that an odd choice for "nose art"?)

Cheers,

Dave

On, and is this the official thread so I can "follow" or will there be a different one initiated?

Edited by Hartmann352

Interesting - this thread was supposed to be locked until 1 July! Ah well, we're nearly there.

On, and is this the official thread so I can "follow" or will there be a different one initiated?

I'm not sure I follow you mate (pardon the pun).

Kev

Oh, well, the title of the thread is "Rules of the Road" instead of "The Official Almost Out of Box GB" or "The AOOB GB" thread.

(On is supposed to be Oh.)

Simply what I have become accustomed to here.

Cheers,

Dave

Oh, well, the title of the thread is "Rules of the Road" instead of "The Official Almost Out of Box GB" or "The AOOB GB" thread.

(On is supposed to be Oh.)

Simply what I have become accustomed to here.

Cheers,

Dave

I still don't understand. A Rules of the Road thread has always been the only 'official' one we've had for our GBs. All the build threads play out individually in separate threads as per the builder's updates. You just can't start one yet, until 1 July.

Kev

I still don't understand. A Rules of the Road thread has always been the only 'official' one we've had for our GBs. All the build threads play out individually in separate threads as per the builder's updates. You just can't start one yet, until 1 July.

Kev

Looks like you may have to re-pin your rules of the road and perhaps open a new topic with the rest of these posts copied into it?

I suppose that it is OK to discuss what members intend to make, as long as they do not actually do so until July 1st?

Derek

I guess that home made markings - painted or otherwise - are OK as well then?

D.

Yep! And to clarify an earlier point that was raised, PE and other non-plastic items that come with the kit are also fine.

Kev

I get it, this is a sub-thread under Almost OOB GB.

Such as when we each have our own building threads...Sorry for the confusion, I'm a lefty and was thinking in a dyslexic sort of way.

I'm leaning towards the MiG-21MF w/Swordfish, but not positive yes.

Cheers,

Dave