1/32 Handley Page Hampden (Tigger Models)

AlexM

that is brilliant! stunningly executed

..I have a real soft spot for these early war bombers and this one is easily the best of the 'never to be kitted' group I have seen :)

can't wait to see more :popcorn:

Peter

Thank you all for your kind words!

This looks amazing, Alex.

Somehow I've missed this build until now - you really are doing a stunning job.

Looking forward to the finished article!

Tom

Not difficult to miss, this build was quite inactive for some time  :)

Lovely build Alex, such an elegant aircraft though totally impractical:

Agree, some designs are simply eye catching, like the Mitsubishi G4M, the Lioré & Olivier LeO 451, or the Hampden, while others like the Whitley, Wellington, or the Do 17 with its edged "crew compartment" were just .. ahm .. functional  (or rather ugly)

Coming together nicely, Alex. It's good to see you back on this one. The lighter earth color is much better than the first attempt.

Somehow, but maybe it is just an effect of tne pics and black color, the lack of depth of the underfuselage of the ID/Tigger kit seems more visible with paint, but the result is great nevertheless. :goodjob:

Waiting eagerly for more :popcorn:

Hubert

Yes, the fuselage of the kit is apparently not high enough. This forced me to make a compromise with the camouflage. While most Hampdens had the same colors (dark green, dark earth, black), there were differences concerning the demarcation line of the upper and lower color. On some, the lower black color was also along the fuselage above the wings, while on the aircraft I'm building, the upper camouflage was also on the fuselage side below the wings, see here

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Royal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command,_1939-1941._CH262.jpg

But on the model, there simply wasn't enough space on the fuselage below the wings for dark green/dark earth camouflage, respectively it would have looked strange with a very thin stripe of that color below the wing. So, my model is all black on the lower side.

jXcwgJO.jpg

Here you can see how the air intakes were made (was easier than I first thought  :) ):

1EgYlz4.jpg

Edited by AlexM

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, there is not much progress since the last update. The Hampden is sitting on the bench and watches me every day with a deprecating stare because of my inactivity, even right now while I'm writing this :) 

In fact, I haven't built much lately. It is really time to cut some plastic again! Hope to bring some updates soon.

Cheers
Alex

• 8 months later...

Hello there,

it has been a little time since the last update...

One thing I worried about are the engine cowlings. Hubert sent me two very nice vacuform cowlings. But I still had to struggle with the exhausts. And I want to show the cooling flaps open. Therefore I already thought about 3d-printing some timo ago. This 3d-model was created about a year ago:

eFJFsus.png

Now I'm a proud owner of a 3d-printer (Ultimaker 3) and printed the parts (with resin engine from Vector). I'll still use a bit of the vacu-cowling

v8oSkNn.jpg

6F9tEg7.jpg

Is this part accurate? Hell no, but the "engine carrier" will be covered by the engine itself and therefore will be almost invisible when viewed from the front.

BHEF2CO.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

Thanks guys!

Another critical part is the landing gear. I guess this generally applies to that kind of vacuform kits since a landing gear is nonexistent in the kit. I was a bit afraid to build this from scratch with its several struts, keeping at least a remote similarity to the real thing, while at the same time ensuring a stable stand for this rather heavy model. Since I have now a 3d-printer, I gave it a try yesterday. I made a 3d-model with the CAD-program Sketchup using a photo as reference from this thread:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30408&page=4

IYxnAvW.jpg

7lhlEZ7.jpg

jpXp1mR.jpg

Though it needs some cleanup, I'm pretty happy with the result :frantic:

Alex

Edited by AlexM