HPH Aviatik Berg D.I released

ZachP319

The website shows this released and available though it does not seem to have traveled across the pond yet.

I've always had a fondness for this plane and it's unique lozenge fabric.

I am gonna have to get me one of these.

Zach

A few folks have had theirs land already including one here in the states who ordered on the first day it was available. I'll be writing up a complete review of the kit for LSP when my copy lands here in the DC suburbs. Excited to see this one!

I have one in hand but have not looked at much more than the instructions.  The castings are HPH's usual high quality and the kit appears to be well detailed - about like a WNW kit in resin.  One unhappy aspect is that the hex camo for fuselage and wings is in the form of a mask, not decals.  There are hex decals available as an additionalcost  option on the HPH website.  If I remember my Aviattik-Berg info correctly, the mask method may be truer to the prototype since the hexes were hand-painted as opposed to being printed fabric as used on German aircraft.  There are several other (non-hex) schemes that could be used and I may have to get one more kit to do Brumowski's "splatter" camouflaged machine.  I look forward to Mike's review.

I wish there were more kits of Austro-Hungarian aircraft. The Berg has always appealed to me, but the Hansa Brandenburg D.1 Starstrutter is my favourite.

Thanks Ron for answering the question about markings. I looked at the website, and wondered if the kit came with decals for the hex camouflage. The masks sound interesting but much more work...maybe.

Not really a bad price for what you get.

RIchard

Edited by R Palimaka

I'd love to get one of these, and yet, and yet . . . I really wanted to model Frank Linke-Crawford's plane, I don't think I can, since his apparently had bare wire wheels.  Darn.

I've built a couple of HPH kits and, to be honest, I don't think they're that much more difficult than most other resin kits. If you think it'll fall out of the box and practically build itself like the latest Tamiya wonderkit (or you've never worked with a full resin kit) then you will struggle. Other than that, you just need patience and some proper modelling skills. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've built a couple of HPH kits and, to be honest, I don't think they're that much more difficult than most other resin kits. If you think it'll fall out of the box and practically build itself like the latest Tamiya wonderkit (or you've never worked with a full resin kit) then you will struggle. Other than that, you just need patience and some proper modelling skills. 

Vince, You are a man of obviously infinitely more patience and skill than me! I've built several resin kits, but HpH falls into a league of it's own when it comes to buildability.

But then perhaps my addiction to WNW has spoiled me?

Dean, you have struck fear into my heart.  I'd love to build the HpH MiG-15, the L-29 if it ever comes back, the L-39, the Berg . . . but if they're discouraging you, they make me tremble.

Dean, you have struck fear into my heart.  I'd love to build the HpH MiG-15, the L-29 if it ever comes back, the L-39, the Berg . . . but if they're discouraging you, they make me tremble.

When builders of the quality of karimb & Clunk say to beware of HpH models, it's well worth listening!

I did their Walrus. What a pain in the bum that was. Or is. Especially at €170's.

There are people who really enjoy HpH kits, but there are also a lot of people who don't feel quite as positive.