1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

After a full week of not working on a model after I finished the Trumpeter F4F-3 Wildcat, build located @:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=66367

I had narrowed down my options to just two kits; the Special Hobbies P-36A/C and the Trumpeter A-4E. While I knew that the P-36 wasn't exactly an easy build, reading in Ron's what to build post where he decided against the P-36 for it's build issues, it was enough for me to decide on the Scooter, and put the P-36 aside for now.

So I pulled the Scooter from my stash and opened the box up.

sqSf6l.jpg

I also had the following AM parts to add to the build:

o0ztie.jpg

Any other details added would be bits & pieces by yours truly.

I had previously decided on the AOA decals #32-014, Combat Scooters #4 in the Vietnam War.

PPGsIr.jpg

As for which version it was a no brainer for me, VMA 211 Wake Island Avengers. Right now I'm planning on #6 with the avionics hump.

9j32TW.jpg

1st up will be the cockpit and IP.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

JA

Super choice for your next build. Going to be a fun and interesting build to follow

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bro

JA

Super choice for your next build. Going to be a fun and interesting build to follow

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bro

Bro,

Welcome to the party. Harv asked me to remind you to bring the popcorn

Joel

I already have major concerns about decaling over the Vortex generators. I've done it in 1/48 scale, and it wasn't easy. In 1/32 scale they're much larger even after thinning them down to a more scale thickness.

Pete has suggested cutting out the area on the decal for the Vortex generators which is the way I was going to go, but I found on Sprue Brothers the South Beach Masks for the A-4 National Insignias. Has anyone used this as an option? I've never used a mask yet, but there is always a 1st time for everything.

Joel

Don't forget the duct tape on the nose:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/usmcarchives/23316613492

Jari

Jari,

I've seen a few pics of the tape on VMA 211 #17, but most without any tape. Any idea as to why they used the tape?

Joel

With tape

d0Khf0.jpg

Without tape

3rwORs.jpg

Edited by Joel_W

Cool project, Joel. Masks should be NO issue for a modeler like you. What's with the duct tape?

Shaka Hi,

Like I said from prior 1/48 experience, the vortex generators are a killer to deal with.

I asked Jari the same question about the tape. Seems to be just for that one aircraft at this point.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Here are some more:

i think they used it mostly to protect the nose from further erosion and pitting before they found something better to protect the nose tips:

Jari

Here are some more:

i think they used it mostly to protect the nose from further erosion and pitting before they found something better to protect the nose tips:

Jari

Jari,

Thanks for the info and the pics. Long way to go before I have to see if I can even make the tape look to be in scale.

Joel