ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

LSP_Kevin

Anyone remember this one? I've been tinkering away with it here and there since the last update, and it appears I've made more progress than I thought! Here's where it's at now:

84SfLe.jpg

I really just need to mask off the leading edges and the Sky tail band, and I can move on with the paint job. I've just been too tied up with my LSP builds to overcome my innate inertia when it comes to masking. Maybe soon...

Kev

• 6 months later...

Well, it must be about time for an update on this one! I intend to finish the Rufe first, as a matter of priority, but this needed the same black primer, so I did them both together:

2vYtv7.jpg

Apologies for the appalling workbench photo, but my photo studio still has a certain Do 335 in it, with nowhere else to go...

Kev

Nice save(s)!

I remember building this kit when it first came out, agricultural fit calls for agricultural methods! I made several locating tabs on every single part of the nose plus various spreaders from sprue. It came out pretty well actually, even if it never got finished :)

(That said, I found the model along with three unbuilt samples in my storage space when I visited my family over christmas - turns out it was already base coated and just needs the canopy and a few small bits done, so who knows ;) I had mostly forgotten about it, but apparently, I had scratched a RNoAF PR IX conversion!)

Sounds like you put a lot of work into yours Willy, so I'd love to see it! Would be great if you could finish it. I expected this kit to be a lot better than it actually is, so got caught unawares a bit.

Kev

Apart from some horrendous sink marks (which apparently was a real problem before ICM got their quality control up and running), I can't recall any real problems. I already knew from various reviews that the nose was a complicated affair, so my approach was planned from the start. I'll see if I can find a picture on my back-up disk :)  

I've done at least three of these, two when they first came out. A lot of work, but the only game in town until Eduard's came along.  Yours looks very good so far.  Have you decided on markings yet?  I think you should do the Czech one (DU:N), but then that's only because that's the one I'd do, as it's one of my areas of interest.  :) :piliot:

Edited by MikeC

I've done at least three of these, two when they first came out. A lot of work, but the only game in town until Eduard's came along.  Yours looks very good so far.  Have you decided on markings yet?  I think you should do the Czech one (DU:N), but then that's only because that's the one I'd do, as it's one of my areas of interest.  :) :piliot:

Thanks Mike. Are you forgetting the Hasegawa kit? Or just not rating it due to the short fuselage? As for markings, I am indeed leaning towards DU•N!

Kev

Thanks Mike. Are you forgetting the Hasegawa kit? Or just not rating it due to the short fuselage? As for markings, I am indeed leaning towards DU•N!

Kev

I'm afraid the Hasegawa kit just looks wrong to my eyes due to that fuselage.  Excellent kit as a kit, not so great as a Spitfire Mk IX imo.  I've got one to do with a Brigade Models nose correction set, so I'll see what that looks like, then the little matter of an ICM VII and XVI and four Eduards, to say nothing of all those 1:32 kits in my stash ... 

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I have a Hasegawa kit in the stash too, with a stack of AM stuff for the front end, but sadly, nothing for the fuselage. I believe it was Aeroclub who made a replacement vacuform fuselage for this kit - would be nice to find one! I'll build mine anyway, with exposed engine, just to distract from the short tail.

Kev

Of course, as far as I can tell the rudder post-to-cockpit measurement is OK, so there is always the possibility of combining with an Airfix PR XIX to produce a XIV.

Anyway, back on topic, look forward to seeing the finished aeroplane resplendent in her 312 Sqn livery.  :piliot:

Reading this thread reminded me of an article comparing the then-new 9's from ICM, Hasegawa and Ocidental. It's still quite interesting reading :)

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/spitfirecomparisonba_1.htm

"Fans of the Supermarine Spitfire/Seafire tend to be hard-nosed, diehard, take-no-prisoners type of loyal supporter who have no parallel in the modeling world."  I prefer to think of it as natural enthusiasm for the most beautful aeroplane ever made.  :piliot: :)

"Fans of the Supermarine Spitfire/Seafire tend to be hard-nosed, diehard, take-no-prisoners type of loyal supporter who have no parallel in the modeling world."  I prefer to think of it as natural enthusiasm for the most beautful aeroplane ever made.  :piliot: :)

Wait, those two definitions aren't synonymous?