1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

The aft vent ramp was built up with card stock to create the box. The ramp itself is aluminum. The Hasegawa kit in this area is incorrect. If you have a Dragon kit see how they did it or find some ref photos to remodel the area. The Hasegawa kit has the ramp coming straight back and intersecting with the aft fuselage. The real thing wasnt like this. The aft fuselage, in reality, extends into the ramp area (Im unsure of exactly how far). The ramp then comes down from the top of the radiator and joins with the fuselage aft section. The example here isnt perfect, but its darn close and looks as it should once all of the components are in place.

post-1406-1190949231.jpg

Thanks Jean, your comments are always kind. But I think once you finish your Spit, youll school everyone in model building.

................................................................................

................................................................................

I started to post some pics on current progress and shot a few more to show all the pieces and how they go together. Things still need to be cleaned up a bit more but all the components are done.

post-1406-1191021082.jpg

Dragon gives you a rather fancy little piece of work for the vent/radiator assembly. I used half of the radiator for dimensioning and just to make life a bit easier. The brass screen is attached to the face of it. The face of the radiator also needs a few more details to be complete.

post-1406-1191021443.jpg

side view.

Im pleased with whats happening thus far. Although, I must admit, it was a bit of a bugger working with aluminum but the end result is worth the effort.

Hope everyone is well...

Geoff

post-1406-1191022553.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys, your comments and questions are always welcome.

Ive started work on the tail planes. I dont know why, I just did. The Dragon kit again comes in handy here. The Dragon tail plaines are nicely molded and more accurately shaped than the Hasegawa kit. I have only eyeballed them in comparison to Bently's Drawings. While close, Dragon seems to have exagerted the tip contour. I'll give a more definitive answer as soon as I can. Never the less, with the exception of the rivet and panel detail, I like the Dragon parts better. They are articulated and save much time in cutting the Hasegawa tail planes and rebuilding them.

The attached photo shows the parts as they go together. At this point the rivet and panel detail has been mostly filled with CA. It will take a lite finish application to be ensure everything is gone. Dragon did a nice job on the counter balance which come as separate pieces.

post-1406-1191361789.jpg