2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

I made the cover from two pieces of .020 and .040 as I didn't have enough .060 at the time.. used the riveting with glue to laminate... the rear tangs fit into slots cut in the back wall of the battery case and several leftover bits of square stock made a pillar for the screw..

VDhzrOh.jpg

A bit of scrap was glued on to act as a fingernail catch to lift the cover..

0iWC1KL.jpg

For the stand I first took the plug apart from it's plastic casing..

Qr0LPcZ.jpg

Wires were soldered on and shrink tube sealed..

SWGa91m.jpg

The wires were made just long enough to allow for soldering.. then both plugs were epoxied into the brass tube..The epoxy should act as an insulator for the fittings.

wNCC7Xz.jpg

And we have the stand rod completed..

uwdoeAP.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The rod needs support, so a box was built around the fitting and a plastic tube run down onto it and epoxied in place..

kuUkzyS.jpg

Should be no issues with it... I hope !!

xHP8k7s.jpg

Next came switches and connections... a switch for the batteries..

r6oQ1oR.jpg

The switch for the wall unit in the center and the plug for same on the right.. everything epoxied into place..

AYIdv0U.jpg

This plug is an odd fitting and delicate...

5VpIRn0.jpg

So I added a shield to the base to protect it..

hShcBBp.jpg

So.. my idea worked ! ...Now for the belly of the beast !

pc8uZcE.jpg

A hole was cut and scrap plastic formed the beginnings of the base for the fitting..

Hxw07bx.jpg

A platform was built up...

Sr2cE0b.jpg

More angles were added fore and aft to help spread any sheer loading..

HdodP7I.jpg

The fitting in place..

h8rv2ES.jpg

Not sure if I'll leave the nut on... or just epoxy it into place..

ypbBGLc.jpg

Anyhoo... that's an idea to play with... for now, it's back to the base and finishing it up.

Tune in next time kids to see what silliness we can get up to !! :mental:

Vaughn

After getting the stand and belly part done, it was back to the base. Angle supports were cut and glued on..

9p3IkLc.jpg

Gaps and edges were filled with plastic dissolved in glue..

RGQvG3C.jpg

Sanded to a smooth edge.. for the most part.. needed a few applications in spots ..

ES9GOos.jpg

But the centerline of the wreck was bugging me... wasn't happy with it... it didn't match the rest of the model..

DAEAgo0.jpg

It was at this point I had such a mess on the tiny table I'm using that I had to stop and clean up, get my tools organized and sweep up the dust & chips...

wzA2aT5.jpg

I found all kinds of usable bits !!

CPrYnPx.jpg

After getting my bench back together I jumped right back in... adding strips and the 'bits' to the forward end of the ship to simulate the destroyed decks and corridors of the ship and showing the violent twisting forces that happened when she blew apart.

7scwEPE.jpg

I started adding twisted bits of sheet along the centerline to show the way decks would have collapsed as the pressures pressed them together..

hO5h0Ie.jpg

Back to work.. more scrap strips were heated and twisted with a candle flame..

KbJZssp.jpg

Cut and carved into bits that fit various points on the centerline they were glued into place... My buddy Donald calls this "tulip curls"..and it suits !

ERDQLRL.jpg

Blending and filling... the original heat damage curled the plastic under, but this section was sheared up and out so to get that the plates had to bend up and out... I filed, filled and sanded the heat blisters as I wasn't happy with them...

3KEOd0Q.jpg

Adding a few beams and bits to fill gaps and break up the flat deack plates..

DZIzIJ7.jpg

And where she stands now... MUCH happier with the look... got more to do but this is getting very close to primer and paint !

jg9wYr1.jpg

Thanks for looking in !

Cheers

Vaughn

'still not happy with that centerline'

So, what am I looking for?  Where/what is the difference?  Flat vs, rounded?  The amount and position of add-ons?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Mark, the initial 'damage' was done with a candle, heating and distorting the plastic. It curled... but downwards... into what would be the hull of the ship. What I'm striving for is for panels to be sheared and torn 'upwards'... so plating had to show this, extending up and out... with decks collapsed and jammed upwards against each other like a deck of cards. Some area's will have curled and rounded buckling, others will have gagged edges where panels were ripped apart.

Hope this helps ?

Vaughn