Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion

LSP_Kevin

The area where the conversion meets the standard fuse (along the rail indent area) is rough and full of scratches that will take some serious work to remove. I feel that using the internals and redoing the fuse would be a better option. The vac canopies are fine.

Hi Kev

Cutting Edge used to make a pair of gun covers specifically for this kit, may be worth asking on the traders forum..?

I would go for scratch. It isn't a hard shape to do - just do it so the UMI vac canopy fits it.

Matt

Hi Kev

Cutting Edge used to make a pair of gun covers specifically for this kit, may be worth asking on the traders forum..?

I would go for scratch. It isn't a hard shape to do - just do it so the UMI vac canopy fits it.

Matt

Matt, you're probably right. I dare say I'm risking all kinds of fit issues and dimensional mismatches by attempting to mate the UMI hump to the Hasegawa fuselage. It would work well enough I reckon if the kit was the new-tool variety, as the fuselages should be identical (other than the hump, of course). Thanks for the info about the CE gun covers too; I'll make some enquiries!

Kev

• 4 months later...

Well, does anybody remember this? I certainly haven't forgotten it, but it's closing in on 2 years without any actual modelling taking place! Since last we spoke, I've managed to obtain a set of replacement gun blisters, as well as some Eduard PE flaps (thanks Tim!). All I need to do now is...start. So, in my next post I will try to do just that.

Kev

Well, does anybody remember this? I certainly haven't forgotten it, but it's closing in on 2 years without any actual modelling taking place! Since last we spoke, I've managed to obtain a set of replacement gun blisters, as well as some Eduard PE flaps (thanks Tim!). All I need to do now is...start. So, in my next post I will try to do just that.

Kev

Well, if anybody knows what it's like to put a project on hold for years at a time, I do! :innocent:

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, Kevin. No matter how long it takes, I'm sure you'll do it justice. :popcorn:

John

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, Kevin. No matter how long it takes, I'm sure you'll do it justice. :popcorn:

Thanks John. Let's hope I don't disappoint! To be honest, I'm not sure how much time I can devote to a project like this at the moment, but with all the bits now in place, I reckon it's past time I did something with it!

Kev

I recon your right Kev :speak_cool:

Well then Ron, let's do it! After 5 pages and nearly 2 years this project finally begins in earnest. And it begins with my now-usual kit butchery, as I've hacked the humps off the UMI fuselage halves, and hacked out corresponding cut-outs in the Hasegawa fuselage halves. Here's the initial test fit:

CoovVx.jpg

Not too bad. If we examine it from the rear though, we can see that the rear portion of the hump is both too wide and too high:

dcdW8J.jpg

The effect is slightly exaggerated in that shot due to me not aligning the hump properly. Interestingly, it's about the right width at the forward section, whereas it should be slightly wider than the standard 190 fuselage at that point. On the real thing, the hump was crudely faired in with sheet metal to make up for the differences in width and contour of the two mating sections.

I also managed to miscalculate the forward cut-out on the starboard side:

pszgKC.jpg

Plenty of gaps to fill! I'm still contemplating how best to tackle all the differences in fit that present so far. I think securing each hump to its respective fuselage half separately is probably the way to go, as I can then reduce or pack out the inside surfaces as appropriate to ensure a good fit. My main concern is to make sure that they are then exactly the same height, as I'm not convinced that the horizontal cut on each fuselage has been executed to anything like the necessary tolerances!

I'm also not quite sure how to replicate the forward sheet metal fairings properly at this stage - not so much in terms of materials and techniques, but more the issue of the two sections already mating quite nicely without the need for such a fairing!

Ah, the challenges!

I'm gonna need to find a set of replacement wheels too...

Kev

Sounds like you have already thought out a good plan of attack. Whatever you decide to do though,I would make sure that you adjust the resin parts so that they fit the canopy. If you go the other way around it would cause a more difficult set of problems. Just a thought.

Interesting project though.

J

Whatever you decide to do though,I would make sure that you adjust the resin parts so that they fit the canopy.

Ah, thanks for reminding me Jerry! I had thought of that, but then promptly forgot about it. You're right though, this will be crucial. I guess I'll need to cut out one of the canopies for testing before I do too much else.

Thanks for checking in guys. Good to finally have this one underway.

Kev

I'm putting this one on hold temporarily, as a fellow modeller who's doing the same conversion (using the same base kit) has offered me copies of some of his scratch-built parts (thanks Glenn!), which may make this go a bit easier. I'll just have to wait for them to arrive before continuing. I could work on other aspects of the build, but I'm a fairly linear guy, so it's just less mentally traumatic for me if I don't!

Kev