Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion

LSP_Kevin

That's pretty much my default option at this point. The only question is do I use the old-tool kit or the new-tool kit as a basis. I'm leaning towards the old-tool kit, simply because if I had to choose one to build OOB as a standard 190, it would be the new-tool kit. The old one is a prime candidate for being chopped to pieces!

Kev

depends what you want to do. new kit better cockpit better wheel wells vs old kit rework cockpit , buy or make new wheel wells. funny part is l bet the two are pretty close to each other parts wise. l know l have tinkered with my old tool kit and put new tool wings from a Dora the they pretty much fit

Up to you

l know l have tinkered with my old tool kit and put new tool wings from a Dora the they pretty much fit

Up to you

Are you sure Hacker? The two kits I have are engineered completely differently - especially with regard to the wing-to-fuselage join. They even have different dimensions. Are you sure your Dora is not one of the old 'High Grade' kits? Hasegawa's 'Fall of the Reich' boxing still contains one of these.

Kev

• 1 year later...

Well, this must be one of the longest WIP threads in history without any Work ever being In Progress! It's a year since I looked at this project, but with the 262 in the home stretch, I've decided to drag it off the shelf of shame and get the ball rolling again. The plan at this stage is to use the old-tool Hasegawa kit, the rear fuselage 'hump' and various details from the UMI set, and a bunch of my own rubbish to help bring things up to scratch. No idea on markings yet, or even a solid plan of action.

So far I've sanded off the raised detail from the main components of the Hasegawa kit and done a quick test-fit:

0Gddqi.jpg

Looks OK, but that's relatively meaningless at this early stage. One thing I'm not happy about, though, is the shape of the gun bulges at the wing roots:

euhdNN.jpg

I can't remember - are they even required on the 190S? If they are, any suggestions for making them look less...stupid?

Anyway folks, this will be a slow build, and one that I'm not going to rush. I would, however, like to finish it by June next, for the Aussie equivalent of the Nationals.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

One thing I'm not happy about, though, is the shape of the gun bulges at the wing roots:

I can't remember - are they even required on the 190S? If they are, any suggestions for making them look less...stupid?

The FW190S on display in Hendon still has them. Jerry Rutman has a nice set of MG151 bulges for his Ta152 (they were essentially the same). Maybe if you ask him nicely... ;)

Radu

Kev...I'll run some scale plan scans off for you on the S. You could borrow my UMI S conversion as a reference if you like. I can vac you some extra canopies but you may decide that re-mastering a lot of these parts might get you more what you are after. I'm sure I'll be able to scrounge some new tool FW190 cockpit parts as well. An assorted bunch of country specific PE or resin instrument bezels would be really handy for jobs like this.

Cheers Matty

Kev...I'll run some scale plan scans off for you on the S. You could borrow my UMI S conversion as a reference if you like. I can vac you some extra canopies but you may decide that re-mastering a lot of these parts might get you more what you are after. I'm sure I'll be able to scrounge some new tool FW190 cockpit parts as well. An assorted bunch of country specific PE or resin instrument bezels would be really handy for jobs like this.

Cheers Matty

Thanks Matty. The first thing I'm not sure about with this conversion is where to cut the two fuselages in order to transfer the UMI 'hump' to the Hasegawa fuselage. The other parts in the UMI conversion seem OK, so I'll be able to use the rear cockpit parts and the canopies. I'll be putting some Airscale instrument decals to good use too! But I'm always happy to scrounge extra bits to save me having to scratch build them. I know I'm doing this the hard way, but don't I always? :rolleyes:

Kev

It been a while but did l not send you some info too? If not l can dig around for some for you

Hmm, come to think of it I think you might have Hacker. I haven't had a chance to dig through everything I've gathered yet. I've really only just pulled this one out of mothballs and set it on the stove. I haven't lit the burner yet...

Kev

The FW190S on display in Hendon still has them. Jerry Rutman has a nice set of MG151 bulges for his Ta152 (they were essentially the same). Maybe if you ask him nicely... ;)

Radu

Hey, good idea Radu! I wonder if he's got some wheels as well? Jerry?

Kev

I've really only just pulled this one out of mothballs and set it on the stove. I haven't lit the burner yet...

Kev

If you do call me and l will bring the marshmellow and we can have toxic roasted marshmellows :P

Edited by Hacker

Woohoo, go Kev!!!! :D

Thought you may have consigned this one to the skip after the fuselage went to jelly :blink: Hopefully things will go better this time around....

I thought there may have been a photo of the gun covers on the CD I sent with the kit, I can email you some if needs be(Haven't got a PB account yet).

Looking forward to updates

:popcorn:

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si. I was thinking of you when I restarted this thread. As I said bit earlier, I haven't had time to re-gather all my bits for this one. Don't currently even have room on the bench for the UMI set! I need to get the 262 out of the way, and then maybe build something quick and simple in a blasphemous scale, before launching back into this one.

Kev

Hey Kev,

I was rooting through my 'S' conversion a few days ago and I'm of the mind that I'm going to fix an 'A' kit and do it myself after all, using the conversion as a starting reference. I'm going to watch this one with interest as it's a great looking 2-seat machine.

Edited by James H

I was rooting through my 'S' conversion a few days ago and I'm of the mind that I'm going to fix an 'A' kit and do it myself after all, using the conversion as a starting reference.

Cool! But why? The only reason I'm not using the UMI fuselage is because of the resin problems ('gone jelly' as Si aptly put it) - otherwise I would! Are your UMI parts dodgy too?

Kev