A5m2b Claude Craftworks Dave Thompson Planes with Pants

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 37,055 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

Good work, Ray! Thanks for the database updates.

Kev

#17 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

OK, got a little more work done. Plus some time researching the interior. It appears that Dave did release this as a full kit at one time as the interior detail doesn't totally jive with the Craftworks version. Dave mastered the interior structure with open C-channel, while the Craftworks kit is done as solid box members. My A5M4-K kit was all Dave as it does match - and the lower fuselage has a longer cockpit well so he definitely had different sets of masters. Anyway, here is the A5M2b Early fuselage (Grey, to the left) vs the Craftworks A5M4 kit (tan, to the right):

A5M2b_10.JPG

Referring to the Maru Mechanic issue on the Claude from the 80's, it appears the Craftworks kit was closer to the real thing. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't doubt Craftworks when they re-worked the masters referred to this book. The SH kit also has a similar structure. So off with the channels.

A5M2b_11.JPG

Also need to carve out the area of the firewall to be able to fit the area in front of the instrument panel, where the two MG's are located. And some filling of bubbles!

• Rick Griewski, jgrease and Leaning_Dog like this
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#18 Rick Griewski

Rick Griewski

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

I am jumping for joy to see this build, Ray! :yahoo:

I had one of Dave's 2b early kits, as well as a K trainer, but ended up selling/trading them. One of the big issues with the kit that I had was that there were no canopy parts for it. I wasn't even aware that one was ever mastered! If I recall, Dave told me that there was something like a dozen of these kits made. Maybe less.

CAN'T WAIT to see more!

John

I have both of Dave's kits. These include only the wind screens. They are pretty rough but build-able. Making a canopy should not be too hard.

Rick

#19 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:16 PM

Awesome build, Ray. I have one or two old Craftworks kits floating around deep in the back of the stash as well... I might even have this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing this get built, as it'll be a real treat.

image.jpg1_zpsubouqlgz.jpg

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A5m2b, Claude, Craftworks, Dave Thompson, Planes with Pants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users