Bomber dismantling

Phartycr0c

I follow a group called WW2 radio on Facebook it is an interesting page full of second world war images and articles. Today this page popped up and i thought it may provide a little interest to the LSP massive. 

Apologies to those who dont "indulge" in the time vampire that is facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/Radio.WW2/posts/2038547429724576

Thanks for sharing.  Apart from anything else you don't see many photos of B-32s.

I'll see your FB group and raise you You Tube. :)  

Admitted, it seems to be a montage of many of the same shots.

But just look at the last aircraft name in the film.  :crying:

Edited by MikeC

It's funny Kingman should crop up.

About 20 years ago, I started researching the history of one B-17 that was attached to the 401st Bomb Group at Deenethorpe. I ended up with a day by day combat diary and tracked down many aircrew that flew missions on her. She survived the war, and one of the aircrew that I wrote to flew her back to the US in 1945, and of course, she ended up at Kingman.

I often looked at many of the photos taken there hoping that I would spot "my B-17" amongst the thousands of aircraft parked at Kingman. Of course, the chances were very slim and I never did spot her. A shame, as it would have finished off the story nicely.

That was until last weekend when I found an aerial photo online of Kingman that I'm sure I hadn't noticed before. I found that I could zoom in for a closer look, and there she was parked up in the middle of the photo! I nearly fell off my chair!

Here's the photo...

25201476178_9d388992ae_c.jpgfa_721_rowsb17s1940

...And there she is, right in the middle of the photo. B-17G-35-DL 42-107039 SC-M of the 612th Bomb Squadron, 401st Bomb Group....otherwise known as "Ice Cold Katy" 103 mission veteran and never lost a crew member.

38357775594_350f78f5c5_z.jpgIce Cold Katy Kingman

That made my year that did!  :thumbsup:

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Kinda sad to see so much great nose art and aircraft chopped up.   I know it had to be that way at the time, but I I just think of how much each of those hulks wold be worth, even in that condition with engines and criticals removed. 

Some small bits survived in quantity. I remember contacting a guy who was selling load adjuster slide rules recovered from Kingman. He had loads of the things. Most of them carried each a/c serial number on the case too. I was hoping he would have the load adjuster from the B-17 I was interested in....he had the serial number one up and one down from the one I wanted. Typical really!  :doh: