• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:00 AM

Just curious - I've run across a fair few IPMS types who are also into fish keeping...  I've had several tanks in the past, and just got a good deal on a brand new (never been wet) 46 gallon acrylic bow-front tank that I'm going to incorporate into my soon to be revamped living room.  Probably South American cichlids, but I'm also becoming quite taken with some of the native North American darter species.  Who knew there were fish this colorful and common in the waters of the lower 48?

Rainbow darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)

ecaeruleum07.jpg

Current darter (Etheostoma uniporum)

DSC04803%252520Cropped.jpg

• Harold, Uncarina, LSP_Typhoonattack and 2 others like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#2 Maxim

Maxim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:07 AM

Great colors for a fresh water fish! Never kept fish, but did kept freshwater turtles many years ago. The wife wants to head down the tropical path.

#3 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

We are running 3 Tropical aquariums at the moment. Upkeep is a  bit of a pain. Our prize fish is a Clown Knife, he is about 40cm long now. Needless to say, he has a tank of his own bar a 30cm Plecostomus  and a Silver Dollar of about 15cm. Anything else is seen as food. 

#4 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

Have a 54 US Gallon (250 Litre) Marine aquarium with some corals and fish, had it going around 6-7 months now and it looks like its finally broken in and settled, had a couple of early issues with algae blooms, one whilst I was away that resulted in all but 2 fish being killed off and a couple months later a few unexplainable deaths/disapearences, having several Hermit Crabs in there as clean up crew tends to mean there often isnt any evidence left for clues. Still, the stresses of setting it up and the learning curve are more than worth it when you sit back and watch the tank for a while, often more interesting than what is on the TV. Until I see that bit of the glass I didnt quite clean completely.

• Jennings Heilig, Uncarina and Bomber_County like this

#5 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

I used to keep piranhas as a teenager - fascinating fish... they needed lots of veggetation and a large tank. Can’t remember what size of aquarium I had but it was pretty large. Once a week feed fish were stocked in and slowly but surely everything got eaten up!
Cheers
Alan
  • Gigant likes this

#6 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

Kept a 100 gallon reef for 10 years.  It's in semi-retirement, now.  When I retire, it'll come back to life.

Sincerely,

Mark

#7 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Never had one myself, but my late sister had very large fresh and saltwater tanks both. Although from her explanation the salt water tank was way WAY more work and money not only to start but to maintain, the fish, and sea anemone, star fish and other exotics she had in that tank were thoroughly mesmerizing. 

Ive always thought it would be something really cool to have, but not sure if Im prepared to splay out the cash to get or support one however.

#8 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

I did some on my own, Ciclids of course. However a friend had access to someone who worked with customs or something and could get ahold of some very exotic species. He had a 100 gallon tank with a Snakehead in it, and also a tank full of Piranah. He had an entire room full of tanks which we helped him take care of.

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#9 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

It's at least as bad as models - you can't have just one :)

#10 petrov27

petrov27

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

Had a 90 gal reef and 120 for a few non reef friendly saltwater fish for about 10 years. Moved and that ended that. Been tempted to do a small tank with maybe a pair of clowns and a few other small fish with some soft corals etc. but its a ton of work and $$ so haven't been able to talk myself into getting back into it yet.

-Patrick

#11 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

We ( actually SWMBO) have this

http://www.fluvalaqu...e/#.Wq6VGFqnyhA

Four years in now and loving it......
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang, WnW “Ships” Camel

#12 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

Those "edge" tanks are really cool looking.  I may look into getting one at some point.  

As I said above, I'm really starting to get jazzed on the native North American darters and other river/stream dwellers, so those require a long, shallow tank with lots of water movement to simulate a fast moving stream... 

Have to get the living room put together first though!  Pulled old ugly bead board wainscoting off the other day and found termite damage under it.  Welcome to Arizona.

#13 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Those "edge" tanks are really cool looking.  I may look into getting one at some point.  

As I said above, I'm really starting to get jazzed on the native North American darters and other river/stream dwellers, so those require a long, shallow tank with lots of water movement to simulate a fast moving stream... 

Have to get the living room put together first though!  Pulled old ugly bead board wainscoting off the other day and found termite damage under it.  Welcome to Arizona.

Probably need something to keep that water colder as well.

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#14 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

I started with a small, freshwater 25L thing that was one of those gifts that end up costing the gifted person money, brother has a river turtle of some kind and they broke the tank when moving it so ordered a replacement tank, it was too small, dopey had ordered the wrong one and was too expensive to return, so my mother stepped in, oh Ade has always wanted a fish tank, give it to him, well Ade has always wanted a fish tank but didn’t get one because he works strange hours and goes back home to visit the folks every 4 weeks on his long weekend off from work so never got one for those reasons. Well this Tetra starter tank isn’t really good for much, I think it’s intended for shrimp keeping or something. It’s tall but narrow so rules a lot of species out so off I went to the local aquarium supply shop for recommendations and came back with some Panda Cory Catfish and a Siamese Fighter who had loads of character bit kicked the bucket and got the 12 gun salute around the U-bend just after the New Year. Just have the Cory’s in there now but have decided to draw the tank down as they die off and won’t be replacing anything in there, don’t worry, I’m still caring for them as I should. But on one trip to the store they had a display tank by the entrance, having wanted a bigger tank and debated long and hard about a larger fresh water or marine one this settled the argument, marine it was. Cue lots of reading up and lots of saving of pennies. Finally had enough saved last summer to go for the Red Sea Reefer 250, the shop we’re using a 350 but I didn’t have the space for the extra foot in length between the 2. Yes it was pricey, the lights were the biggest eye opener for me. WOW. But good lighting is a must, especially for the corals. So in there at the moment I have 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, there were 6 Green Chromis but now 3 A’s they tend to pick on each other, the smallest usually getting the worst of it, one Yellow Tang, one Flameback Dwarf Angel, one Jewelled Blenny who has tonnes of character which is helped by having a face like Homer Simpson, here’s a Dwarf wrasse in there too who I see rarely, usually feeding time as he likes it in the live rock, I forget his specific species within the Wrasse family but his colouration got me, looks different in every light as it changes throughout the day. Also have a few Hermit Crabs for clean up duties, several corals that I need to look in to fragging off as some are getting nice and big. There’s room for a few more fish and corals but adding stuff slowly so not as to crash the tank. Also most of my fish were bought young so have some growing to do, the clowns especially. There’s something to do maintenance wise on a pretty much daily basis but I enjoy it for the most part, sometimes that skimmer reeks and makes me gag but then the hours I can spend watching the tank make it worthwhile. Did have to get a mesh top for the tank though as one or two of the critters were prone to jumping when spooked when the lights shut down at night, even with a gradual draw down programmed in to the timer.

#15 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Probably need something to keep that water colder as well.

Yeah, I have a chiller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users