Thanks Kevin!

As I mentioned in the other thread (now deleted), I didn't get back to this build ASAP... in fact I started tinkering with some other armour builds. But I spent the better part of this afternoon painting the cockpit details, and once I have some photos of the 'pit before I button it up I will post them.

Darrem

A bit of a progress report. The sidewall doesn't look this messy in real life, but I guess that's the advantage of looking at photos of your own work; you do notice more things which need seeing to. There's some cleanup in store regardless. The basic colour is Vallejo's 'earth brown' from their Japanese armour colour set, with pin washes/shading via a 50-50 mix of black and raw umber oils. I'll spruce this up with a couple of generic instrument dial decals.

pitcolour_zps5gf4uodq.jpg

Darren

No progress to show today, but Katsuhiko Nasu's been sharing some great photos of a Ki-61-II at the Japan Scalable Aerospace Science Museum over on Panagiotis' Japanese WW2 aviation page on Facebook, including this gem of an IP:

15078716_1935323090030185_89529410966554

It also seems the engine block was painted that same khaki/brown colour as the interior of the cockpit!

Darren

Edited by The1971Show

Not much progress lately - I decided to order a set of Airscale's Japanese instrument decals and am still waiting for these to arrive, so the cockpit's on hold right now. In the meantime, I've been tinkering with the radiator. It should have been a simple task, but this is the second attempt:

radiator_zpsgyafa8ij.jpg

I also assembled and installed the RB seatbelts some time ago:

seat_zpsj3cdwsur.jpg

Before I button the pit up, I'll try a satin glaze on the 'outer' faces of the belts to make them look a bit more leathery.

I'm also seeing what the recent issues are regarding he problems people are having with Photobucket. Their focus seems to be on making their advertisers' lives more convenient, rather than those of the users who drive their content in the first place. :BANGHEAD2:

Darren

That looks fantastic Darren. Are you going to rivet it as well?

Cheers

M.

Thanks! I think I will rivet it, but I haven't made a definite decision yet. If not, the J2M I have in the stash will get that treatment. I'm taking my time looking for a beading tool set locally before I go online and get one. It's really tempting after seeing the results on Jay's G-10 though!

D

Darren , what if you pass me your address and I will send you my spare set of needing tools, without the handle.

What if I offer you the 1:48 Italian Messerschmitt 109K-4 I left behind at Magic Box in trade for those tools? :hmmm:

Ironically, about an hour after I mentioned that I was waiting on a parcel to arrive so I could start decalling the instrument panel, the very package I was waiting for arrived (on a Sunday?! Canada Post must be on holiday hours now...) so in preparation for that I've spent some quality time over at this site cross-referencing their Ki-61 instrument panel diagram with the Airscale sheet.

I may have a photo update soon, then.

Darren