1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

2 hours ago, John1 said:

I tend to think that replicating the light overspray in a consistent and to-scale manner will be the hard part. Look forward to seeing someone give it a try.   

It probably will be. I think making a mask set on my Silhouette cutter for consistency sake, then cutting out some practice masks for use on my A6M2 paint mule will probably lead to the most satisfactory results. Time will tell, as it will likely take some substantial practice runs to get that look right. As you said, it seems to be fairly consistent looking over-spray across the board on the outside of the G symbols (as consistent as over-spray ever seems to get)

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

lol - Will do

Good stuff. Ran through several Tamiya masking sheets yesterday trying to do something simple so yeah, you do the work and save me some money and more importantly, some sanity as I have precious little left to lose in that department.

Why do I have a sickening feeling that as soon as I apply those decals to my upcoming -1D, Jennings will release that new Corsair decal set that he's mentioned and I'll see the perfect scheme.   He had some teaser shots of USN Reserve Corsairs, with the orange markings that looked pretty cool indeed. 

That's about what I would expect from someone as diabolical as Jennings.  

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

You mean *yellow* :)

Realistically, don't look for our next F4U project until at least mid-2019.

Hey, if you are looking for subjects for that upcoming project, here’s one that came from "my' local NAS (NAS South Weymouth, MA).   Assigned to the NARTU, circa 1947.

FG-1D Corsair of NARTU after a rough off field landing at NAS South Weymouth, MA 1947. WRG#: 0022803

Edited by John1

I’m thinking it’s best to mask and paint them in a darkish black-grey.  I think using decals wouldn’t look to scale.  

On a related note, just got the Tamiya kit today. Noted they have decals for small black nonskid rectangular walkways that butt up against fuselage sides, in line with the windscreen. Some of the Fundekals aircraft are noted that they don’t have the long wing walkways.  Would that mean these smaller ones would also be removed or were they present on all -1D’s?    

Thanks Jennings.  I'll go with them on my build. 

On another note - any have first hand experience with the Vector cowl flap resin set?   Looks like a big step up in detail from the kit parts.   A bit pricey though....

Thoughts?

Yet another question (I'm sorry for all these questions guys, please bear with me) - how are the Tamiya decals regarded?  I'll be using them for the stencils, etc.  Any issues?   Were the maint markings on the real thing painted on stencils or (as I've seen on some aircraft), actual decals?

Edited by John1

Tamiyas decals are generally regarded as sometimes being quite thick and hard to lay down.

I'll be using my Fundekals set for most of my build, but paint masks for the F symbols needed. 

I've not used any decals that come with their tool kits if I'm honest.

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Tamiyas decals are generally regarded as sometimes being quite thick and hard to lay down.

I'll be using my Fundekals set for most of my build, but paint masks for the F symbols needed. 

I've not used any decals that come with their tool kits if I'm honest.

What are you using for the stenciling?  I don't see any aftermarket options out there.  That's why I asked about the markings on the real thing.   If they used actual decals for most of the servicing data markings, I can get by with the kit ones, even if they are a bit thicker than optimum.   However, if these  markings were painted on, it could be a bit problematic.

In my reading of the factory drawings, it lists specs for stenciling or decals for nearly all markings including national insignia. I have not been able to tell from photos whether decals were ever used, however. It all looked like painted on stencils to me - no sign of peeled up edges or torn decals.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

P-51s used a lgood t of decals and you never see them peeling either

Weren't a lot of the P-51 stencils rubber stamped onto the skin, with a protective coating applied over them?  Thought I read that somewhere...