SMS Premium Lacquer Series Paints

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

I've just published my review of a new line of Australian-made lacquer-paints:

SMS Premium Lacquer Series Paints

1765-1.jpg

They're excellent paints, but only available to the local Australian market currently. So, Aussie modellers, if you're looking for an alternative to the expensive and hard-to-get Mr. Color and Mr. Paint ranges, keep an eye on SMS.

Kev

Kevin,

Great review ! I do wonder though what they would spray like with a different needle, or different airbrush...? Like you, I thin my paints and try to get as thin a film as possible, but being a lacquer, the paint should dry to a reduced thickness after the solvent flashes off...?

Either way, those look very promising and I may have to talk to my friend 'Down Under' and get some.

- Joe

Kevin,

Great review ! I do wonder though what they would spray like with a different needle, or different airbrush...?

I forgot to mention it in the review, but I used a 0.3mm needle for testing, which is what is recommended. This was a happy accident, though, as I don't have any other needle sizes for the Iwata anyway. I also have a H&S Evolution CR-Plus, which has (I think) a 0.4mm needle, but didn't bother testing with it. Fast drying times mean that the self-leveling properties of most lacquer paints are limited, and going on too thick like I did is more likely to result in orange-peel and gritty surface effects. Scott told me that he'd make get the viscosity issues attended to, and send me some adjusted samples for further testing and review.

So, look out for Part 2 later in the year!

Kev