PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

'Just add water...' Sorry I just couldn't resist, but after all it's a 'sea' plane...

cSCdJKe.jpg

q1Oh7HH.jpg

bObAEVo.jpg

So, I spend all morning cleaning up the parts, although I must say I'm a bit intimidated by the sheer number of parts in this kit...

Edited by kkarlsen

• 2 weeks later...

Spend some time cleaning up the parts, to my horror I realised, there are parts missing!!!

Going through every part again, I finally realized, all of the longitudinal strips were not in the kit!

So I contacted HPH in Czechoslovakia, great service, got the parts in the mail, just 3-4 days! - 

Thank you so much HPH...

OAUi9Dl.jpg

Edited by kkarlsen

• 2 months later...

Great to see this kit being modelled. It's no small undertaking (I have my own on the work bench which has taken second place to my Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger - both really big projects) but a very impressive project. Seeing your build come together could well get my inspiration going again.

One thing I would suggest is to make sure you get the fuselage halves matching first at the join line and then get the formers to fit correctly. You can see what I mean if you have a look at my build progress to date over at the Large Scale Modeller WIP forum.

All the best

Paul

• 1 month later...

So Gent's I'm in a bit of predicament here...

I really could use your views on this. I'm planning to do the PBY as a part cutaway, I do not want to close everything up, like i did with the B-25J.

I think the PBY deserves better, because of it's great interior. But I'm not sure how to do it. I do not want to make it all open, as the HPH Cutaway

Model Kit., but doing it more with some openings in the fuselage. The big question is: Where to cut? And how? 

I have made a sketch on a three dimensional drawing of a PBY, but I'm not sure at all...

LaYMjkZ.jpg

JiKvtsb.jpg

Have you seen a build which does this in a nice way? I'm afraid I won't get started on the build as long as I'm not completely sure how to do the cutting.

Please feel free to comment...

Regards: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen