ZM A-1J Skyraider [19/10/2017 - exhaust staining]

Breaker

Breaker,

I really like the close up of the bottom of the Spad, as it really lets us see the tonal variation achieved  via Black Basing, and along with some restrained pre-shading.  Is that paint leaking out around the needle or the cone?

Joel

Whilst my airbrush has been out of action, Harold from AMS has hooked me up with some bombs and the correct fuel tank for the wing pylon so I got them cleaned up and ready to go. Aero-1C 150 gallon wing tank and M-47 WP 100Lb bombs that are a really common addition to the Sandy loadout I want. 

IMG_20170721_181238.jpg

4 x CBU-25, 2 x M47A4 WP, 2 x LAU-68s, 2 x LAU-61s, 1x SUU-11, an Aero-1C and an Aero-1D fuel tank. 

I've also been messing around with some chipping work around the cowl. I'm not too happy with it at the moment as it doesn't match my references that well but it's something I can work from. 

IMG_20170721_181238.jpg
Edited by Breaker

Breaker,

that really sucks about your airbrush. Another reason to have more then one. I'm about to order my 3rd with a #.5mm needle. So I'm armed with a .3mm, .4mm, and soon a .5mm setup. 

I gotta agree with ClumsyDude, the chipping looks realistic to me as well. 

Joel

One thought on the chipping: there are plenty of lateral scratches running back from the panel line, and they look realistic. I also notice that the wear is not entirely aligned with the panel line - that is, sometimes there is chipping (in your example) away from the panel line, at the same time as there is paint between the chips and the panel line. Is it that one's eye expects to see the wear starting at the panel line and going back from there?

Not sure if this makes sense - I might be able to mark up the photos to show what I mean, if it helps?

Jim

Edit - I should say, I am not trying to imply I have any answers, like I said earlier I think it looks good. Just offering a suggestion in case it helps you get the effect you're after ... for all I know my suggestion would make it worse.

Edited by ClumsyDude

Guest Peterpools

Awesome black basing and weathering - looks fantastic. Cammo is right on the money and the  weathering even and very realistic.

Keep 'em coming

Peter