• Please log in to reply
995 replies to this topic

#976 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

My modelling has come to an end. I will be divesting myself of all my kits & modelling paraphanalia.

It's been a pleasure knowing you guys.

Hwyl fawr a phob lwc.

Say it ain't so.....

• harvey, MARU5137 and mpk like this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly)

On deck: Not certain.

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#977 fightersweep

fightersweep

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Seriously Dean? Everything ok with you...or will I be needed to take a trip across the Severn with a bucket of cold water to snap you out of it??  :frantic:

Best regards;
Steve

• harvey, MARU5137 and mpk like this

#978 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Steve .. wait for ME... I will come with you to knock some sense into him....

:fight:

Dean ..are you okay?
  • harvey and mpk like this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#979 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

It's the Tory pledge to axe all Severn Crossing bridge tolls - the thoughts of all those English coming over for the day for free!

Seriously, there's a huge difference between having a break from modelling sites and divesting yourself of all models and related paraphernalia. Did someone say something unpleasant over on Buttheadmodeller ?

Tony
  • harvey, Bomber_County and mpk like this
Finally spraying again

#980 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Nothing happened, no falling out or anything - how can I fall out with you guys, it's impossible?!

Just don't enjoy the hobby anymore. I find myself sat at the workbench, modelling, wishing I was doing something else, or wishing I was somewhere else. What used to be joyful, fun and a source of enjoyment has slowly become a rather reluctant way to fill time.

It's just hit me very recently that I just don't enjoy it, don't look forward to it and plan for it like I used to.

I used to look at the stash and mentally build a few kits, but nowadays I find it all a little intimidating. I've turned into a bit of a collector by accident, and goodness knows why I've bought so many kits. It's bloody ridiculous and not very healthy! 

I've imagined my world without my workbench, without the stash, without WNW's latest releases - and I find it exhilarating and a bit of a release.

I've rejoined the gym & booked a personal trainer. I'm taking a couple of weeks for a little UK tour - RAF Hendon, Fleet Air Arm, London's many, many museums (Natural History, Science, Imperial War, British Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Tate, to name but a few), The Tank Museum at Bovington, RAF Cosford, the Shuttleworth Collection - there's a huge list I want to work my way through. I'm even doing bits of DIY around the house and find myself enjoying it!!!

I also read a huge amount & find myself enjoying that. I've got a massive collection of books, more than enough to see me to the end of my days.

So, there you have it. Nothing wrong with the people, or the hobby - I've just fallen out of love with it, but it's taken me a wee while to realise it and accept it as a good thing, opening up time for so much else I want to do.

• alaninaustria, Jack, Lee White and 9 others like this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#981 fightersweep

fightersweep

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Steve .. wait for ME... I will come with you to knock some sense into him....

:fight:

Dean ..are you okay?

I'll gladly wait!  :)

I've got six spare seats...we could gather a posse together. Might as well save a few quid on the bridge toll!  :coolio:

Best regards;
Steve

• harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack, MARU5137 and 1 other like this

#982 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Nothing happened, no falling out or anything - how can I fall out with you guys, it's impossible?!

Just don't enjoy the hobby anymore. I find myself sat at the workbench, modelling, wishing I was doing something else, or wishing I was somewhere else. What used to be joyful, fun and a source of enjoyment has slowly become a rather reluctant way to fill time.

It's just hit me very recently that I just don't enjoy it, don't look forward to it and plan for it like I used to.

I used to look at the stash and mentally build a few kits, but nowadays I find it all a little intimidating. I've turned into a bit of a collector by accident, and goodness knows why I've bought so many kits. It's bloody ridiculous and not very healthy! 

I've imagined my world without my workbench, without the stash, without WNW's latest releases - and I find it exhilarating and a bit of a release.

I've rejoined the gym & booked a personal trainer. I'm taking a couple of weeks for a little UK tour - RAF Hendon, Fleet Air Arm, London's many, many museums (Natural History, Science, Imperial War, British Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Tate, to name but a few), The Tank Museum at Bovington, RAF Cosford, the Shuttleworth Collection - there's a huge list I want to work my way through. I'm even doing bits of DIY around the house and find myself enjoying it!!!

I also read a huge amount & find myself enjoying that. I've got a massive collection of books, more than enough to see me to the end of my days.

So, there you have it. Nothing wrong with the people, or the hobby - I've just fallen out of love with it, but it's taken me a wee while to realise it and accept it as a good thing, opening up time for so much else I want to do.

Bit of a shame but I can see it. Ive lost some MoJo with my 1:1 vehicle stuff recently, but the thought of putting together a WnW D.VII is really kind of exciting me.

You are going to get rid of all your WnW stash as well Dean?

• harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack and mpk like this

#983 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Best of luck Dean!

I recently have found myself collecting Victorian coins and it's nice not to have to fettle or whittle, but just enjoy something as-is.
Spent more on single malt than models last year, but must take a leaf out of your book and get more active.

Tony
Finally spraying again

#984 fightersweep

fightersweep

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

That sounds fair to me Dean. To be honest, I've felt like that, particularly since staring my own business, but with me, it's more frustration of not having the time to do what I want to do...build some kits. The sum feeling is similar though. I'm buying loads still and not building and it's become a bit intimidating when I realise I'm not getting anywhere.

I also need time to work on the house and spend time with the kids and I wonder if I should just throw the towel in and sell my collection. But I've been a modelling anorak for as long as I remember and can't imagine not having that in my life.

Is it worth reducing the stash, moth-balling the hobby and taking a break (as you seem to be)? I can't help feeling that the bug will bite you again sometime in the future.

I'm sure we'll all be here to lend an ear...

Best regards;
Steve

• harvey, Out2gtcha, JT68 and 1 other like this

#985 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Bit of a shame but I can see it. Ive lost some MoJo with my 1:1 vehicle stuff recently, but the thought of putting together a WnW D.VII is really kind of exciting me.

You are going to get rid of all your WnW stash as well Dean?

Yep, it's all going. I think there are 60 WNW kits & about 150 others, all 1/32 props. Plus ridiculous amounts of after market - Eduard, Quickboost, HGW, Pheon, Aires, Master, CMK, Gaspatch, PART, G-Factor, etc - that will go as well.

When I've sold kits before, I've been sad to see them leave. This time it's different, I'm looking forward to them going, albeit not the actual selling process.
  • Martinnfb, harvey, Out2gtcha and 3 others like this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#986 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,493 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Best of luck my friend. I do hope you pop in from time to time. I hate to see any member leave, but seems you have things sorted out on what you want to do. Best of luck mate !.......Harv

• Martinnfb, MARU5137, Vandy 1 VX 4 and 1 other like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#987 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Dean...

well it's good to hear your explanation and I truly hope that you enjoy the new found freedom.

sometimes same old routine grinds you down and unless you have other hobbies (I collect Coins and rare books when I can afford); it becomes stale. No matter how much you warm up the stale bread it will be stale..... so in a hobby....

Dean go do other things and hopefully you will begin to feel fresh and smell the beauty of this world.

as for your WNW kits.... I am sure there are modelers who will buy them and treasure them for a future build. :thumbsup:

it's like having a long vacation from disjointing oneself from one routine to start afresh. SO Dean please enjoy the new love affair with your Airforce museums and love of books..

:punk:

have a great time and please feel free to drop in to see what the MADHOUSE is up to (or isn't up to)...

Greetings and thank you for all your helpful posts and comments over the years.

I might pop in if I am in Wales if that's okay ! :whistle:..

IT was nice knowing you.... such wonderful posts and a nice person ...

:thumbsup:

:wub:

(by the way Cardiff has a really lovely Olde world book Shop but can't remember the address ;but it's opposite that castle like place with a flowered footballer on show on its roof).

Enjoy all your new ventures.

:crying:

Edited by MARU5137, 19 May 2017 - 05:19 PM.

• Martinnfb and mpk like this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#988 fightersweep

fightersweep

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

Maru;

Let's hope Dean decides to carry on hanging out in the madhouse, modelling or not....I would miss his Welsh humour! 

Dean;

Good luck with your new found freedom! 

(I just know a trip to Yeovilton or Shuttleworth is going to bring on plastic cravings!)

Actually, if you're at Yeovilton, I could pop down and say hello...it's not far from here!

Best regards;
Steve

• mpk likes this

#989 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Dean, sorry to see you go, no not because I knew when I listed a kit for sale or swap there was a good chance you'd buy it! But I've been where you are with this hobby hence my various stash purges over my time here. Enjoy what ever hobby it is you move on to next.
  • mpk likes this

#990 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

I will miss your humour Dean. And what about Rog? :) 

XL2GeqP_zps3lufxod9.png
In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users