Memphis Belle Decals

Ted Barrett

Hi Guys,

I have the HK B-17E/F kit and I wanted to do the Memphis Belle version.  I noticed that they give you blue and red decals for the girl and wheel covers.  Is this caused by a lack of certainty is the colour of the markings?

Ted

Thanks D,

I noticed that Zotz makes a set of decals that includes the Memphis Belle.  Do you know whether they would be worthwhile purchasing or just use the HK decals?

Ted

You're welcome. :) Can't really help with which decals might be better. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

Cheers,

The decals supplied with the HK kit provide for a close representation of the actual aircraft in wartime as well as options for the more modern and more stylized movie version. The movie version has a different figure shape for the lady and arms are different as well as a few other things like a phone cord. The original photo was from a pinup magazine (I believe esquire) done by George Petty and copied to the aircraft according to that work by Tony Starcer. The original aircraft had a blue dress on the port side and red on starboard. I believe the star caps on wheels followed this but may very well both be blue. Not sure there. Zotz has more heavily researched markings that are verifiable historically as through the years the odd markings around the plane put there by crews seems to vary from one model maker to another. The stylized S variation on the waiste section varies from company to company as an example. Look for color photos of wartime for reference. Remember also that the real aircraft had specific camo patterns applied to it which in a sense becomes a birthmark and those vary from reference sources as well. Photo evidence of period correct timeframe solves most issues. Main takeaways would be: original had blue on port, red on starboard, original had block type font (not cursive), the figure was originally skinnier, and if Zotz uses the decals, you can be reasonably sure they are correct according to large consensus of subject matter and lastly it was not a simple OD/NG paint scheme. I will be doing this aircraft too or knockout dropper. Even though early on they had less hours on the airframe, they both had distinct wear. Recently I found the belle to have the light sand brown exhaust streaks in areas rather than just the traditional smoke/oil color. Amazing characters, these aircraft were in their own right and I look forward to seeing your work.

David

For clarification on the wheel covers, I have seen myself wartime footage of the aircraft from the starboard side with a blue cap same as port. That being said I believe they had both colors for both wheels and just put whatever was closest reach when finishing up wheel work. There wasn't a standard for that and if I'm wrong saying that, it wasn't followed and appeared to be open to variation. There were yin-yangs, hearts, diamonds, triangles, five pointed stars, Star of David, etc. and I would venture that people put random odd things on them as well since the aircraft became their canvas to vent (sometimes the equivalent of a bathroom stall as well).

Thanks for the information David.

I think that I will be ordering the Zotz decals and then with research online I should be able to get to work on the kit.

I've always had a soft spot for the Memphis Belle ever since getting the old Revell (new back then) 1/72 kit back in '67 for Christmas.  It and a Revell Oscar were opened on Christmas day and finished (no paint and if memory serves me right no decals) by the end of boxing day.  Almost broke my neck running up and down the stairs "flying" them...lol

Talk to you soon,

Ted

I actually started speaking as a kid to the Wyler documentary about the Belle and several years later had a 1:48 Memphis Belle model much like yours complete with testors tube cement strings and totally fogged glass to compliment it. That is what amazes me about this hobby. It still brings out the amazement and awe just like back then and allows one to step outside of the real world and enjoy the moment and possibly learn new things about the skills and yourself in the process. I have a Zotz set for the G and I will say the quality and register are top notch. Something that requires the type of investment these kits do, one would be well advised to mark it as well as possible, be that with kit decals or aftermarket. I haven't heard much about HK decals so I am nervous myself of giving them a shot. Probably unfounded anxiety though. Good luck.

David

Yes, that is one of the great things about this hobby.  You can enjoy reminiscing about the older days and can actually get copies of many of the old kits if you want to do a "nostalgia" build.

I have to finish off an Italeri F-35 before I get going on the B-17, but will start it as soon as I can.  In the meantime I'll order the Zotz decals.

Talk to you soon David,

Ted