P-51D-5-NA "Jan" QP-D

xmh53wrench

Thanks a heap Paul!

I actually was able to get the Dull Coat on, and as expected, totally killed the mirrorish look to the paint.  Put the NMF flap and aileron in place to show the contrast.  Next up is a gloss coat to give it just a hint of a shine.

CAM02228_zps7e156bb2.jpg

Thanks a bunch ya'll!

This is supposed to be my "show/master piece" so I am really excited on how its coming out so far.  Its certainly not flawless, but on occasion something turns out exactly how you envision it, and the last pic I posted is exactly one of those moments.  We ALL know these things can go bad at the drop of a hat, especially during the paint phase.  But I am keeping my optimism up, and really trying to exercise a whole bunch of patience....and I am not very good in that department (I love to rush paint....the worst thing you could ever do in that process).  

Silver Dollar, thanks for your signature, a really great reminder for me.

Thank you guys, very very humbled by your remarks.  I am really enjoying this after my bit of a break.  Not even that bothered by the canopy any longer.

Thanks!!!!

PS Geoff....what are your thoughts on what was painted and not painted in the gun bays and access panels???

Lou

I just saw this question. Sorry for the delay. The gun bays should be YZC.

Shelved.....

Sometimes for ones own mental health this has to be done I guess.

Same process, same time, same everything and yet after two tries the wings refuse to match the other aluminum paste painted surfaces (the gun bay panels for example).  The wings look great until I apply the gloss clear, then they get dark and mottled & and after two tries all that subtle detail on the trailing edges is nearly gone.  So, setting it aside and when I am ready to persue this again I will strip the wings down and try again. :shrug:  :shrug:  :shrug:

CAM02235_zpsb894a121.jpg

So I am thinking a very simple Revellstang OOB build as therapy....

Man I wouldn't give up just yet.. but I understand if you feel that way today.  Mustangs with filled and smoothed wings seem to have had barely discernible gun bay doors color wise ( they matched the wing top surface)  for the most part, so you'd actually be fine just painting them the same top surface color of the wings themselves. Remember, Mustang wings were painted silver lacquer after all the putty sanding and primer and that INCLUDED the gun bay doors. The flaps and ailerons were left in natural metal. Keep going its gonna look great! 

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Maurice, that is great praise coming from you sir....Thank you very kindly, and at this particular moment, its very much appreciated.

Paul, well I'm not giving up per se, I am just exercising some good judgement, restraint, and patience.  I totally agree with the descernible covers, but that is where the rub comes in.  The gun covers, rudder, and elevators are exactly what I had envisioned, and for whatever reason the wings just refuse to give the same result.  I dont know if its the larger surface area or maybe the black primer (although the elevators had the same primer applied).  But something is not wanting to cooperate.  So I am going to let them cure up, figure out how to strip them down to the plastic, refill them, and try again.  I had a vision in my minds eye, and the color, is not even close.

Geoff, as the pictures will show, the color is just off.....simple as that.  The wing fill and surface, I dont think I couldve asked for more.  It just comes down to the color.

CAM02238_zps1dbbb71b.jpg

CAM02237_zpsd189a521.jpg

My occasional perfectionism aka anality is rearing its ugly head....LOL

So I am going to occupy myself with my WIF Mustang IV for the time being, it needs to get done as well.

Thank you guys for your concern and input, that is why this place is more than just a website.

Looks like what painters call orange peel to me Lou. Tends to afflict gloss paints. It happens to me fairly regularly too. The answer apparently is to build things up in ultra-thin coats, but sometimes it seems like orange peel just happens no matter what.

Kev  

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Kev is quite right, as the clear on the painted wings have all the telltale signs of orange peel.; most likely caused by too much clear or too much paint, not thinned out enough.  Best cure; let the wings dry thoroughly and then some. Next step, wet sanding to smooth out the finish: 600/1500/2000/12000. Now polish and the skin should be smooth. The other option would be to strip the paint completely off  (geez, I just went through that) and re-paint the wing,s: thin, light coats and if possible, use gloss paint. Why build up extra layers of clear gloss for the shine?

Hopefully, all will work out well. Best advice, take a break from the project, think things over and when you're ready pick it up again.

Peter