P-51D-5-NA "Jan" QP-D

xmh53wrench

Well, this came as a complete surprise to me. I had been completely content with the Airfix 1/24 P-51D kit, and really happy to have scored the reissue P-51D/K boxing with all the extra bits and pieces, and much better plastic.
BUT..............
I just had the amazing fortune of aquiring the Hobby Craft 1/24 P-51D, and all I can say so far is......WOW!!!!
This kit is just amazing, and is probably worth the c-note plus, that they are listing them for, and so what makes this even better is that I paid just over a third of that for this jewel.
So with this aquisition I am moving the paint scheme and nose art from my Airfix build over to this kit......for 5 very good reasons.......
S.W.M.B.O.
My original build was for her (as the plane sports her name, although shes not a blonde), I thought it was great that I found real nose art from WWII that was so appropriate. And now I believe a better kit for her.
So I intend on building this kit represent "Jan" QP-D, the initial mount of Lt. Robert Dickmeyer of the 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, stationed at Debden, UK. His tour with the 334th was from 6JUN44 through 26DEC44. During that period he had two Mustangs assigned to him, 44-13956 and later 44-14606, P-51D-5NA and P-51D-10NA respectively. He scored 2.5 kills (1 ME109 and 1.5 FW109) and I read that 413956 was downed by flack near France, and he dead sticked the Mustang into a 9th AF landing strip, but I have not been able to pin point the date.
These Mustangs also were adorned with nose art by the 334th's famous artist Sgt. Donald Allen.I hope to do a decent natural metal look on her fuselage, and aluminum paint finish on the wings. I havent done any of that before, so its going to be trial and error, I am afraid, but I am looking forward to the challenge. Obviously at this scale, there isnt a bunch available, and certainly not for "Jan", so I will be printing up my own for this build.
Here is a photo of "Jan"
IMAG1322.jpg
Here is the kit, and a quick photo of its contents, still in their packaging.
IMAG1887.jpg
IMAG1888.jpg
As I unwrap the sprues and wipe the drool off my desk I will post up more pics of the plethora of parts included. I have been reading up on some of the kits shortcomings, and some I will live with and some I will do my best to rework.
Anyway, thanks for looking in and putting up with my indicisiveness.....at least you dont live with me :mental:

Edited by xmh53wrench

I appologize in advance if this ends up sounding like a kit review, its not. I am just pretty impressed with some of the detail in this thing. Although I am noticing more and more things that I will have to help along. Here are some sprue shots....aka modeling soft core....

Engine and Props (both Hamilton Standard cuffed and un-cuffed) and misc.

IMAG1889.jpg

Engine cowlings (which are better than the Airfix, but they still missed the mark on the slight valve cover buldges), mounts, seat (which IMHO leaves much to be disired, so I will be scratching a better Warren McArthur one up)

IMAG1893.jpg

Tanks (woohooooo 1/24 paper tanks), tires, canopy(yuk, must be for that ever elusive P-51XXL"fat boy" version for plump pilots), gear legs, and some niffty rubber engine details

IMAG1896.jpg

H-stabs, elevators, rudder, gear doors, wheel and gun bays (its such a shame that these companies just cant seem to get that wingspar deal figured out) guns and bullet belts

IMAG1897.jpg3

YUP, I said bullets

IMAG1898.jpg

Wings and fuselage

IMAG1900.jpg

IMAG1902.jpg

Thanks for looking in JohnB

Edited by xmh53wrench

WOW, the new addition thanks you guys for the overwhelming welcome. I managed a bit done last night, but had to work today, and now we are off to take in some dinner theater (that would be theatre for you folks that drive on the wrong side of the road). So I may or may not get much done this evening.

Anywho, here is what I managed last night. Then engine is pretty basic, I hope to add a bit of detail.

IMAG1903.jpg

Thanks a heap Grant, come on in and take a seat...

Well I figured I would try to get in a few hours tonight. (We ended up at the local ER with my father in law with high BP and high glucose, so after being there all day they are keeping him at least overnight)

So tonight I am going to chip away at another area I figure I could improve. I dont like the seat or floorboard in this kit. So my plan is to freshin up the Warren McArthur seat a bit, and do a few things to the floorboards, as well as improve the top of the fuel tank.

Here is what I have to work with (I already had removed the area where the control stick is located (it was too shallow in my opinion)

IMAG1907.jpg

IMAG1908.jpg

Holy hollowed out head rest Batman!!!! What were they thinking when they did the master for this part?

IMAG1910.jpg

...and my newly modified seat armour and lil Warren McArthur seat. (I know I personally dont think enough about what our country and its patriotism accomplished durring WWII, and how the manufacturers worked together for the war effort. caution dorky trivia ahead: Warren McArthur was a pioneer in the light weight aluminum furniture industry and developed anodizing aluminum.....makes perfect sense his company would build aircraft seats)

IMAG1911.jpg

Thanks Harv. Here is a tiny bit of progress from last night. Added some cardstock to the sides of the cockpit and that also made the missing canopy track. Made the well in the floor for the control stick a bit deeper, and added the fuel tank gauges. Also painted the seat.

IMAG1913.jpg

Well my freakin nerves are shot for the night, but heres what I got done this evening. The compulsary masking tape seat belts. The seat is a bit small, I definately liked the way my Airfix one came out vs. this one. Added the seat back brace (but I wont be doing the fresh air vents and hoses). I did shorten the seat armor a bit, just seamed a bit tall to me. Added that canvas thats under the seat (does anybody know what thats there for?), raised the control stick and whittled down and reshaped the hand grip, as well as did some carving on the boot, as it was just a block of plastic......and.......what seems to be the new Mustang hot detail....the ol' piss tube (whittled that guy out of some sprue). Oh ya, and added the fuselage fuel tank guage from the spares box.

IMAG1915.jpg

Also looks like I have talked myself into leaving the top of the fuselage tank alone, except to add the filler neck.

Also looks like the fat boy canopy may have to stay (man that thing is just butt ugly, again, what were they thinking regarding one of the main character traits of the Mustang), after several trial fits of an Airfix one, I just couldnt get it to work....but then again, it just may be the nerves are shot thing.....guess I wont give up on it completely just yet.

Thanks for chiming in Kev.....that Spit of your is just amazing and an inspiration!