Academy 1/35 AH-1W "NTS Update"

BloorwestSiR

I started by building the Master gun barrel assembly.

IMG_20151101_214637.jpg

IMG_20151101_221450.jpg

I found it a bit fiddly getting the barrels lined up so I could insert the spacer rings but got it together without supergluing my hands together.

It was definitely worth the effort.

IMG_20151101_221456.jpg

Carl

Finally a tiny bit more progress. I got out the cockpit tub and shaved off the Gunner's pedals in preparation for the new PE floor sections.

IMG_20151101_222535.jpg

IMG_20151101_222703.jpg

Here's the new floor panels in place.

IMG_20151104_232121.jpg

Then it was time for the new pedals. Eduard would have you do 4 tiny squares of brass into cylinders for the pedals themselves. Needless to say, that wasn't going to happen with me building this kit. The best I could manage was a semi circle. I then added these to the centre section of the pedals.

IMG_20151104_224618.jpg

This might be a slow build...

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Speed has nothing  to do with it. Take your time, enjoy the journey - nice strat on the front offcie.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Looks great! There are some really handy PE folding sets out there, along with a very useful PE bender to get PE into round shapes, all from from "the small shop".com

Thanks Brian. I actually have the Small Shop bender and used it on the pedals. They just don't make one with a small enough diameter to make them completely circular. I figure they'll be buried in the footwells so it won't be too noticeable. 

Slow maybe, but very nice! ....Harv

Carl

Speed has nothing  to do with it. Take your time, enjoy the journey - nice strat on the front offcie.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Harv and Peter. I sort of learned my lesson when I rushed the UH-1 build I did so I'm going to take my time with the PE on this one. I'm also trying to finish off a Churchill AVRE that's been 95% complete for the last couple of years too.

Where can i buy the AH-1W these days?

I found mine at the LHS (Wheels and Wings in Toronto) about a week after the GB started.I think it was more luck than anything as they seem to be a bit hard to find. I was actually thinking of a Revell Lynx for this GB until I saw the Cobra on the store shelf. Plus it was only $35 CAD so it was an easy decision to change subjects.

Carl

Great work indeed. Following this closely, looking forward to seeing what you use and how you bend the landing skid cross members. On the NTS, they are round and not "aero" like in the kit.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I'll have see what's involved with the landing gear before I try to change anything. If its not too difficult, then I may take a crack at fixing it.

I started the mods to the gunner's seat by removing the moulded on seat belts and the centre of the rear armour plate.

IMG_20151105_214401.jpg

I then assembled the shoulder and lap belts. Man, they were fiddly but I should've expected that. I used a round jawed set of pliers to help put some curves into the belts son they weren't so rigid looking.

IMG_20151107_214807.jpg

Carl