Jim Barry

I thought the pilot in Collin's "Tally Ho" P-47  was a nice addition to a large scale plane and so inspired to get that effect too,  I've got this guy from my Airfix Spitfire kit  to add some drama (and hide some admittedly thin cockpit details).  I'm thinking he's the flight instructor giving his students the signal that it's go time. It's working for me so he's  probably a keeper. He can be pulled too. 

IMG_7197_zpsznnijuih.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

Today was radiator day.  Still need to close up the sides. It works really well to scratch planes from this era as they had a hand made look and rather low tech. Note the Hex mesh. I stressed over finding it some etch of some sort but failed. So I went cheap and printed it. Works! 

IMG_7212_zpso0kitk1v.jpg

Shaka, sorry my pronoun there suggested I printed PE. The mesh is just paper. I find some details can be realized in 2D. It's sometimes an option to consider when struggling. I sure wish I could make my own etch. I've looked at the masters of scratch building and they are known to go with custom etch. The  3D printer  is breathing down my neck. 

Hubert, Thanks

Edited by Jim Barry

I was never too happy with the panel locks I crafted and just asked myself "can I do better?" and answered "yes". I'd have to redo the panel completely, but no biggie. I realized I actually had little "washers" if I just cut into piece of rod  and used the cross section. Same idea as the gauges.  Getting the thickness just right was not easy nor was a steady flawless drilling for them to settle into, but I got it done and they are much better. I've thought way too much about this aspect of the build but I've really liked the challenge. 

Top new (bottom old)

IMG_7231_zpsnjbsasqy.jpg

Lookin' the part. Threw some primer on to check where I am. Spar effect is just what I wanted. This plane is going to be 1938 or 1939 as a part of training squadron and would be rather worn.  This is great, because I'm just not that good to make a nice one.  :)

Thanks for all the inspiration here on the website. I'm really working hard to catch up! 

IMG_7311_zpsc9jpk1ke.jpg

IMG_7313_zpscct3zvwn.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

Thanks everyone. And thanks Torben for the printer idea. I'm enchanted by project solutions.  

As a blog entry here, I have no pictures, but can relate that I'm 90% done with the fuselage skinning now. 115 hours in now breaks my single project record and perhaps the most work in 6 weeks as well. 

Details ahead for the fuselage:

A few more small panels to lay down.

More rivets   

more panel bolts

misc hatches

vents and holes

scoops

bulges

foot steps

MG cartridge ejection ports

Gun barrels

Fuel cap

Telescope sight

Windscreen

Sighting peg (I think goes with the sight ring already made)

Then major categories would be landing gear struts, wing struts, wings, tail pieces, rigging. Then onto finish work (painting and insignia etc).  Feels like about another  4-6 weeks. I have learned a ton and can feel the heat of the next plane breathing down my neck.