• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:44 AM

I just got the F9F-5 kit and it is really nice. Beautifully cast and I'm sure it will build up great. That said, I'm a little concerned about the landing gear. Test fitting the fuselage and wing together and it is really heavy! I'm worried that the gear will hold up. These kits are really screaming for brass/metal gear struts. Anybody had experience with this?Thanks.

Chuck

• harvey and Out2gtcha like this

#2 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

We have been discussing this earlier Chuck........Harv

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=70124

Edited by harvey, 12 August 2017 - 02:23 AM.

• otis252 and Out2gtcha like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#3 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure on both the Panther and Cougar, the gear has s/s wire inside to take the weight.
Just fire off a email to Paul to confirm
Peter

On the bench: Trumpeter A6A Intruder VA-165 Boomers

USS Constellation 1971-72

#4 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

Yup,  the gear have steel music wire cast into them, I have the very first built-up kit sitting on the shelf since 2003 and the gear are good as new.

As an aside, I've followed the brass LG thread  and if it were easy and cheap to do, the stuff would be everywhere.I have tried to find  reliable alternate sources for well over a decade and no joy so far.Most shops that still do the work don't want the hassle of small batches.

• Out2gtcha likes this

#5 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

Yup,  the gear have steel music wire cast into them, I have the very first built-up kit sitting on the shelf since 2003 and the gear are good as new.

As an aside, I've followed the brass LG thread  and if it were easy and cheap to do, the stuff would be everywhere.I have tried to find  reliable alternate sources for well over a decade and no joy so far.Most shops that still do the work don't want the hassle of small batches.

Thanks for chiming in Paul. Always a joy to put on of your kits together!!     

As a side note,

Ive personally spoken to Shane (wrbrdmech) and it seems he does have a guy that normally casts small batches of rail-road stuff (lights, sign crossings) and what not in HO scale, and is similar to the guy who cast the single nose gear for the Privateer that won overall best model at teh NATs. 

Shane thinks that he would be willing, just a matter of nailing down the prices. I personally am willing to front a MUCH higher cost for each copy than normal to get this done, and am also willing to front some needed capitol too.

I think its doable if we find the right person......................I think that we may be able to get quite a few customers for something like this. I dont think any of this would be necessary if G-Factor were involved but as was mentioned Ernie is a one man band, and if hes involved with feeding FM&P or other companies, I can see why there is a lot less in the pipeline. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users