1/32 Ki-61 - I

Radub

Thanks Brian, I am truly flattered.

Bsarnoffca, there seems to be a plentiful supply of Ki61s in 1/32 out there. There is not a week without at least one of them on offer on Ebay. Usually, there are a few on offer at any time. Not my definition of a rare kit by a long shot.

Radu

Hey Radu,

I went to clisby.com and I'm very interested in their little metal lathe. I have to ask you which power supply from Minicraft you're using? I'm looking at 2, the 7000-30000 one (cheaper) or the 0-30000 power supply. Which is the one you're using?

These things are so cute. They're only 11" long. Perfect for what I'd use it for. I'm thinking mainly for landing gear struts and other such symetrical stuff.

Hi TimC,

I have both transformers. The cheaper version (MB730 just one connector) is very powerful, does not really allow for slow speeds. The more expensive one (MB751 three connectors) gives more control across the entire speed range, but at low speeds the rotation is quite "jumpy" - not very smooth. Neither is perfect, but I find myself using MB751 one a lot, more than the other one. If you can afford it, go for the MB751.

The lathe is a jewel. You will love it. The only drawback is that it does not have a compound slide, which would allow for tapered parts and cones. If you need that, go for Sherline, Unimat 1 or Taig, but these are more expensive.

Radu

Glad to hear MDC will pick up the casting of this one also. I have a Ki-61 in the stash, would be great!

Also, rumours have been flying that the Ki-61 may be the next Hasegawa new-tool 1/32nd Japanese aircraft release, and so MDC would be first to market with an updated cockpit, even if some of the masters have to be adjusted a little, so this is probably a good business decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyine for your kind words.

Hacker, here is the source of info:

- Monogram's Japanese Aircraft Interiors by Robert C. Mikesh - this is fantastic, great pictures and diagrams.

- Maru Mechanic No.37, Ki61/Ki100 - the paintings of the cockpit are kind of misleading in places but it is still very useable.

Both books are OOP and command ridiculous prices, but I got mine when they were still available.

I will try to post some more pictures today.

HTH

Radu

very nice again. you said that these are going to be masters for a resin detail set.

i was wondering all the time how such masters are produced. will MDC cut off all the parts again, to cast them and make a kit? how does this work.

yours klaus

Hi Klaus,

Each company have their own way of doing things, but the general idea or resin casting is the same: a master part serves as a basis for a rubber mould, which is then used to make copies of the original part in resin. It is a bit like making xerox copies in 3D (only a bit messier). :D

Here is a link to a page that may help. http://www.smoothon.com/howtomakemolds.htm

There are other websites or pages dedicated to resin casting. A google for "Resin Casting" should give you plenty of ideas.

HTH

Radu