1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Just love the steady progress on the Big Twin Prop Cat. How about a shot next to the Sea Fury for size comparison?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

evening ladies :)

just a quick one today as I only got time to add another section - this is the last one before the tail which is a more complex structure, so I will start on the forward fuselage and the second wing spar.

..same pattern as before - I now have learnt some short cuts so I guess a section takes about half an hour from start to finish..

..I have glued all these sections together now and can see there are some issues starting to appear. The main one is some bulging where sections join as the skin bows in from the fuselage former until pushed out by the next one - I am not sure how I will cure this yet as it's not as simple as just sanding them down as I will soon go through the skin. I might start laminating some card on the sinkage areas ready for some industrial sanding later on...

..here is where I am at..

WIP45_zps10812d88.jpg

..and here you can see the bulging - the spine also looks a bit wonky but I can straighten this out with some stock later on (he says...) - it's all assembled by eye so I am hoping I am not too way off on alignment...

WIP44_zpsc752071e.jpg

Peter

Just love the steady progress on the Big Twin Prop Cat. How about a shot next to the Sea Fury for size comparison?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter - it's nice to be enjoying myself! here is a shot next to the Sea Fury - these four fuselage sections are about the same size...

WIP43_zps9371c4cb.jpg

You have entered a new dimension of sight and sound. You have entered the twilight zone! Good grief Peter, that's amazing! Doesn't look much like a Hornet though ;).

Cheers,
Wolf

Hi Wolf - thanks for stopping by :)

No, it doesn't look much like a Hornet - in fact my Hornet doesn't look much like a Hornet yet either!

Hm could this work on a Hampden too? :hmmm:

Cees

Hi Cees - it's hard to say how much easier this is than scratchbuilding in the traditional way as I have never done that either - I do know there is a Hampden kit available, and a Blenheim so if it does work out I have the next few decades building planned out!

..thats it for now my friends..

TTFN
Peter

Guest Peterpools

HI Peter

Thanks for the comparison photo...WOW is the Tigercat one big gal!  Completely enjoying your update and progress

Keep 'em coming

Peter

We call it it SOP for large-scale. They call it "over-ambitious".

:popcorn:

Mind, you could scare up a hue-n-cry using a card model for a basis. "That's not true s/building!"

But we don't care. Stunning project, Peter. Nobody could ever call you middle-of-the-road.

:goodjob:

You might have to book the local car finisher's paint booth though, come time to shoot colour.

Regards

Rossky

thanks chaps - very kind of you to drop in with a few words of encouragement :)

...not that I seem to need it as this is becoming almost a daily blog things are moving so fast - it is pretty straightforward to build up to now, but as I get closer to the tail things are a bit more nebulous..

...these parts are it... a sternpost for the rudder, a spar and two ribs for the tailplane (which is the span of a small 1/32 fighter) and a strengthener for the tailhook fitting - the rest is just skinning which may work in paper & card but is not going to cut it in plastic a few scales bigger...

WIP47_zpsbf391c4d.jpg

..I decided to move to the front while I thought about it and readied the next section which has the second wing spar...

WIP46_zpsa51f0bd1.jpg

...and that one joined the rest - alignment by eye again so don't be surprised if it turns out one wing low (eh Tim!)..

WIP49_zpsbd2f5cf5.jpg

WIP48_zps2a01c80b.jpg

WIP50_zpsdb482acf.jpg

..and with what little there is of the tail structure to give an idea an aeroplane will eventually emerge...

WIP51_zpsefa7eac9.jpg

WIP52_zps3322bbb0.jpg

thats it for today folks - see you soon :coolio:

Peter

Yes it has to be said....this is modelling on a whole new level! I started doing a 24th Mossie many moons ago and then chucked it in the bin cos it frustrated me so much :BANGHEAD2: . You have already surpassed my efforts and I applaud you for that!  Well done mate, this is very inspiring indeed.

Cheers

Anthony