RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

It took 2 hours to get to this point:

nvYzsir.jpg

Here are the three MFD screens, with the back side coated with I don't know how many coats of clear purple (a mix of clear tamiya blue and red, with lots of levelling thinner). Note the bottom screen isn't as thick.

4UvO0Vp.jpg

qzmxFcU.jpg

Then I painted some light grey around the edges, for a barely noticeable border effect (even in real life it is more "barely" than "noticeable", as with many of my experiments, ie you can't actually see it).

And then lots of coats of Mr Super Clear gloss on the top, again with heaps of levelling thinner. This gave a satisfying glossy depth to the screens.

And finally! Here's the completed IP, in sunlight:

LE2Q3yK.jpg

And shade:

9H3tKyC.jpg

More cockpit in a moment.

Edited by ClumsyDude

In between all of this I finished off the seat. Here's the cushions masked off, and sprayed with gunze olive drab (I the sprayed highlights of khaki from above, to highlight the wrinkles in the cushions).

WTHIgs8.jpg

Decals - again from the brilliant Airscale cockpit set.

4RYGA1g.jpg

And seatbelts painted. Note also the parachute cover on the top of the seat has been done, including an attempt to replicate the lighter coloured edging.

rR7VYDc.jpg

And some glamour shots of the seat ... it's hard to tell in the photos, but the finish on the metal bits of the seat is less glossy than the head rest. I also brushed it with some tamiya gun metal pigment. Ejection handle had the stripes brush painted, then an overspray of brown to dirty it up.

cBFlx83.jpg
ksilSB4.jpg
7XIPJYN.jpg

Cockpit tub in a minute.

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude

Here's the tub. It has lots of teeny tiny Airscale decals on the IP; I think they add enormously to the effect (did I mention how much I love those decals?). This is with a matte coat on.

6Ol9HWg.jpg

Then I picked out the black panels with future, using a fine brush, to give a bit of semi gloss against the overall flat finish of the rest of the tub. You can see the effect here, sort of.

XOeNdYO.jpg

SrXVryt.jpg

Last bit I'll have time for this morning is the stick. Started out with Alclad gunmetal, and added some silver and red. I also added some decals at the bottom - they were too stark, so I over-sprayed with gun metal again to darken them, and pretty much obliterated them. Oh well.

YmdnG86.jpg
6FQzyIX.jpg

Bit more visible here after I buffed back some of the gun metal. I also did some light grey, very thin, over the bottom of the stick for variety. There's also a black wash in there and a brushing with some tamiya titanium pigment.

3lWYZvv.jpg

pIApujR.jpg

That's all for this morning. Hell hole up next, and hopefully before the next month is out, the nose closed up!

Thanks for following.

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude

Yes yes yes, the IPs are very very good!

Thanks Milan! I owe you for the suggestion on the MFD screens.

Wow Jim, this is just stunning work my friend, that IP, is so realistic, it seems that it came right out of a real Hornet :goodjob:

Same go's for that ejection seat, really nice work, congrats.

Greetz

Danny

Thanks Danny. I've followed a few of your builds in the past and it means a lot coming from you!

Jim

Outstanding. brilliant work on the IP, seat and the tub - looking fantastic.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Thanks Peter, I wish I had your photography skills. But I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out ... even if it's taken me a month and a half to get to this point!

Cheers

Jim

Guest Peterpools

Jim

Speed should never be the determining factor ... just enjoy the build and go at your own pace.

No problem at all with your photographs ... they come through crystal clear ..

Keep 'em coming

Peter