1/48 Tamiya Corsair F4U-1a

Maurice

Hi Folks,

Coming back little by little after a couple of years break, time to do a non LSP build, popular tamiya Corsair F4U-1A yet not defined which markings probably RNZAF or a std 34.

I wanted to try black basing approach to paint the camouflage.

More to come

Cheers :piliot:   

35010706963_06edb25fe8_o.jpg

35010707343_7f4b6b0fc1.jpg

35780173526_81ff4911f1_z.jpg

35780162346_7fab2c7846_z.jpg

35010709843_66a59f2de1_z.jpg35010706833_29ed204aee_z.jpg

I'm trying this black basing approach, didn't want to try it on a 200 bucks 1/32 corsair. Thank you Mustang for the kind words. 

I bit of advancement, here in white coat, I'm starting to like this technique the mottled finish it's quite convincing, to my eyes at least. I'm for a very little post shading around the engine exhaust area and oil washes to softly highlight the panel lines. I was a preshading guy and this approach is convincing me to go for a LSP plane. White coat is in fact XF-2 Flat white + some drops of XF-80 RAF Grey. 

Cheers  :piliot:

35825394386_e4895fb8be_z.jpg

35734301221_a68a3b51e0_z.jpg

35696911402_9b99d2345e_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Great to see you back at the bench and nothing finer then a Tamiya Corsair 48th or 32nd scale.

Terrific paint work and the black basing comes through very nicely.  Any photos of the interior and front office?

I'm also starting a 48th scale project and posted the first update tonight: ZM F4J and will be doing black basing for the first time as well.

Looking forward to following your progress

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I really like the whole black basing approach. I used it for the first time around 3 years ago on an automotive engine and it worked fabulous. I like the mottled approach that you are taking here and am looking forward to what the paint will look like when you're done. Killer work Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

Saw your post, just an FYI the Eaglecal RNZAF Decals are the wrong colour, should be much darker Blue.

Even on faded Corsairs the Service Units who owned the aircraft, would touch up the Roundel paint, which

is why you see some really faded RNZAF Corsairs with fresh painted roundels.

If The Roundels did fade to the colour of the Eaglecal decals, you would see the over painted US Star underneath.

That type of fading really only occurred some 10-15 years after the war sitting in a bone yard in the open

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan, this info is much appreciated, I was willing to do that version, don't know If I would be able to touch up the darker blue. So I guess I'll go for a std Jolly Rogers. 

Cheers 

Edited by Maurice

Well...to be precise,you did whitebasing on the dark blue :) should have kept the medium blue more tightly confined so you could utilise the black surface. IMO splotchy dark blue on the med blue looks a bit off

Interesting observation regarding the white basing, I think the dark blue is going in the right direction not being finished yet lots of fading and post shading missing.