F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

It's really disappointing when your favorite kit has issues. It just sours the excitement and enthusiasm of  building that all time favorite kit.  Hang in there Brian.

I'm appalled at the standards of a high-end kit.  The nose weights...  Ok...somebody might expect you to shave and trim the lead.  The blast tubes...   starting to annoy...   But the wing details being out of alignment so bad...  really a buzz-kill.

But, at least it's the kit of your dreams.

Good luck!

Gaz

Thanks guys!   Yes, Shane confirmed HIS wing is also like that.    #$*%!!!!     Well crud. I was hoping not to have to re-do detail on the wing, but apparently that is not an option, as it looks like its not a 1 or two off mold slide issue, but an issue with the master mold. 

Kinda crappy, but it is what it is, and Im going to tackle 1 challenge at a time, and conquer each as they come. 

I just have this sinking feeling that I wont even hear back from HpH let alone get a replacement wing panel that is not off. I have a feeling that any replacement panel would also be the same. 

Yep, not able to un-see any of it.   However, my passion is great for this subject, and its never been in this scale, so will just take me a little time to work out how to tackle this issue, then will move on and take them each as they come. 

Mean_Cat.jpg

Pretty much exactly how I feel.   Blah. 

Sorry about your trials with your kit, Brian. That is pretty much how all my builds have gone as of late! I feel your pain!

Now, I had a thought about that wing riveting problem...... Perhaps you could use some thin 3" masking tape or the like to stick to the wing, and make a template of the rivet pattern on the affected wing. Then you could do your typical wizardry with Mr. Surfacer 500 and fill the existing lines. Realign your tape to the correct position on the wing, and use it as a template to put the rivets back...ie, poke them through the tape. Then it would be a matter of rescribing the inspection panel shapes into their respective postions? Just a thought......would be a bit a bit of tedium, but nothing a solid day could not whip into shape....

Cool kit though- Looking forward to more updates-

THOR    :ninja:

Thanks for the input and idea guys!  

It looks like one of those undersides is longer than the other.  Do the rivets fall in the same place on both all the way down?  If they do, then it may be possible to add or take out the offending section on the end before the tip.

Its actually an optical illusion, for as far as length goes, all four wing sections are virtually identical. Unfortunately, the upper engine exhaust, gun ports and air inlet vents are all in the exact same position as well. 

Even the rivets and panel lines from the root to the engine are in the proper spot. Its really just the lower section of the starboard panel from the engine to the tip of the wing. 

Honestly,

What I have been thinking about doing is laying down a clear sheet of frisket film over that section, then marking the rivet and panel lines, pulling up the film. then filling the whole wing section, then re-apply the sheet of frisket film, and use that as a template to re-do all the panel lines and rivets in their correct place.

Im pretty much going to push on with the fuselage work, and get some actual progress accomplished so as to not succumb to the downfall of HpH kits.