ITALERI F-35

thewizardofaz

Italeri came out with their F-35 almost two weeks ago, and I have my kit already.  The kit is very nice.  Parts are sharp and crisp with very few errors. Most of the detail of the kit is in the exhaust pointy vanes, unlike previous aircraft turkey feathers. Due to the cockpit really not having much in the way of detail in real life, the model kit is kinda spartan...accurate but not much in the way of details at all.  The real throttle, for example, looks like a blob of black plastic with a few buttons attached.  It already has the nickname of "cow flop".  Typical throttle design it is not. (From the photos I have seen). Kit Prices vary, and so far only European dealers have them from what I can see, which means shipping is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the overall model cost. 

I can take and provide photos to those that want them. Probably should anyway. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the color of the exhaust.  To be truthful, they don't resemble turkey feathers in the least.  They most resemble pineapple leaf tips. The color of them is a mix of metallic brown/copper so it seems like I will have to do up a custom mix for them.Oh...there is NO HUD.  The computer projects the former HUD data on the inside of the darkened helmet visor so that the pilot does not need to reorient on the HUD for data.  It's always in front of him, no matter where he's looking.

I've got the kit prepped and have been researching the actual craft to compare with kit parts. I'm building the first two kits to be the first two F-35 for Israel,  Israeli AF 901 and 902. I am wondering why the IAF birds are only various grey shades and white. Our USN F-35C have colorful unit marks and designs on the tails.    My only question at the moment is, of the icons above the text window, which one/s is for uploading images?  

Rick

There were photos of the F-35 cockpit in a U.K. Special magazine on the plane. It's a big empty box with a bang seat and a couple of X Boxes by the look of it. Seriously, I think they've got it about right. A lovely decal for the main 3 screen display that resembles the one in the photos closely. There are a few buttons and switches in a very small console centred below the main panel and a couple of switch and button panels either side. Throttle to the left, stick to the right on otherwise almost bare grey panels. It is very spartan in appearance.

The screens are touch sensitive, hence the lack of buttons. The displays are context sensitive, so say a warning or alarm comes up, the system will shift to the correct and relevant display for that situation. The pilots helmet visor displays shed loads of information too.

I've got a kit taped together, test fitting everything before painting and assembly. It's big and actually quite heavy with the engine and intakes and all the bays. Detail is soft but it certainly looks like the F-35A from any angle.

The one I really want is the STOVL B version with all the whistles and bells. In the meantime I will get on with this kit.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

I was up at the Museum at RAF Cosford yesterday for a look see and a check in on the TSR-2. My trade group in the RAF was set up specially to work in that plane and I actually joined the RAF as an apprentice just after it was scrapped. They kept us technicians on though!

I see the F-35 as the modern equivalent of the TSR-2. Cutting through all the political bull, it is a very capable aircraft. I've gone from being a doubter to a convert. However, it should have been called the A-35 as it clearly isn't a fighter. My advice to The Donald would be to get F-22 back into production with revised avionics and computer systems for top cover and let the Lightnings hammer anything that moves on the ground.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your thoughts on the kit so far. I got to witness the arrival of the RAAFs first two F-35As into Avalon air show couple of weeks ago - pretty amazing stuff. It's quite a large "fighter" (I use inverted commas here as the F-35 is a LOT more than just a fighter) and makes the Hornet look kinda average in comparison. It is largely a optical thing as the 35 sits so high on its gear versus the Hornet. Pretty well most of the worlds major air forces either have or are looking at signing up into the F-35 program. Be interesting to see what France and Germany do in years to come - perhaps jointly develop their own 5th Gen - who knows right now. F-35 is common with the TSR-2 in the interdiction role I guess. TSR-2 was to use speed in its defence, whereas the F-35 uses stealth. F-35 does so much more though - ISR, SEAD, air dominance, CAS, Maritime strike, etc, etc. It shares all its targeting info with all others via MADL (other F-35s) and Link-16 (4th gen fighters, bombers, etc, etc). Not long ago, a F-35 was used in a test to provide targeting for a Aegis/SM-6 system using its MADL to provide the targeting info to the Aegis system to shoot down a airborne target. Its systems are well beyond what the F-22 has in many respects. F-22 won't go back into production - just too expensive with the cost and time associated bringing it up to 21st century spec's. It would be just better starting all over, which is essentially what USA will be doing with its 6th Gen program (contracts for 6th Gen engine development have been awarded I read recently). Most likely the USN requirement for 6th Gen will be different to what the USAF want - so likely will be separate programs. If you are interested, check out how the F-35 performed at the recent Red Flag 17-1. US service chiefs are pretty happy with the outcome. The F-35 is pretty agile - Block 3F software brings the full 9G design limit and it can fly up to 50 deg AoA - big mistake for any potential adversary that somehow by a miracle got close to a F-35 to think it can't turn - it can, oh indeed it can and its yaw rate is supposed to be phenomenal too. Should add that Block 3F also brings the AIM-9X - allowing over the shoulder shots. RAF will most likely use ASRAAM (AIM-132), which I believe can be carried internally unlike the AIM-9X. Block 4 software will bring 4-6 AIM-120s carried internally, then there is the next gen of AAMs coming - possibly the CUDA missile. Perhaps 15-20 years into the program there will be defensive lasers mounted on the F-35. LM has been testing a airborne laser in a corporate jet in recent times. First airborne laser will most likely go into a AC-130. Lots of stuff in store for the F-35 over the next 50 years - it's but a platform for a whole lot of "nasties" for any potential bad dudes!

Looking forward to seeing some builds of this kit here. I'll most likely buy the kit. By the time I've gotten around to building it, Tamiya will most likely have released theirs! The most challenging thing will be getting the paint right - it has this subtle "shimmer" - from those metallic carbon nanotubes in the RAM coating - it will take some experimenting to get this right. I'll wait for the model paint companies to come up with the right formula!

Regarding the cockpit, one would only see all the graphics displayed with the avionics "On", otherwise that large colour touchscreen will be black just like a TV - which will look pretty boring! Some nice photos of the ejection seat would be welcome, as this is the dominate part in the cockpit.

DSC_0164_zpsp8ihblzv.jpg

Edited by Adam

Italeri came out with their F-35 almost two weeks ago, and I have my kit already.  The kit is very nice.  Parts are sharp and crisp with very few errors. Most of the detail of the kit is in the exhaust pointy vanes, unlike previous aircraft turkey feathers. Due to the cockpit really not having much in the way of detail in real life, the model kit is kinda spartan...accurate but not much in the way of details at all.  The real throttle, for example, looks like a blob of black plastic with a few buttons attached.  It already has the nickname of "cow flop".  Typical throttle design it is not. (From the photos I have seen). Kit Prices vary, and so far only European dealers have them from what I can see, which means shipping is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the overall model cost. 

I can take and provide photos to those that want them. Probably should anyway. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the color of the exhaust.  To be truthful, they don't resemble turkey feathers in the least.  They most resemble pineapple leaf tips. The color of them is a mix of metallic brown/copper so it seems like I will have to do up a custom mix for them.Oh...there is NO HUD.  The computer projects the former HUD data on the inside of the darkened helmet visor so that the pilot does not need to reorient on the HUD for data.  It's always in front of him, no matter where he's looking.

I've got the kit prepped and have been researching the actual craft to compare with kit parts. I'm building the first two kits to be the first two F-35 for Israel,  Israeli AF 901 and 902. I am wondering why the IAF birds are only various grey shades and white. Our USN F-35C have colorful unit marks and designs on the tails.    My only question at the moment is, of the icons above the text window, which one/s is for uploading images?  

Rick

Hi Rick,

I agree, the "turkey feathers" have a copper/gunmetal "hue" to them - more gunmetal than copper, but a definite hint of copper. White of course inside with the ceramic coating.

DSC_0218_zpshzbzdyqx.jpg

Hi Adam,

The time frame between the TSR-2 and F-35 is decades, actually all of my working life and things have changed quite a bit in airframes, avionics, control and weaponry in that time. TSR-2 was the cutting edge strike plane of the day and F-35 is today. BTW the original name for the F-35 was the JSF, the S in the middle is for the same word in both aircraft, STRIKE. Strike is the code name for light bomber, mud mover. That's still the primary role of the T-35. Air Dominance is an add-on, depending on stealth, sensors and one other factor, numbers. Unfortunately most order numbers have been slashed by customers on a cost basis (in a time when the threat seems to be as high as ever) so the numbers aren't going to be there. F-35 won't hold up in a possible head to head with an aggressor with swarms of aircraft. Think of the Russian Front in WWII where clearly better designs on one side were worn down by the vast number of their opponents. First thing I'd do would be to ramp up the numbers to give capability, should also drive down the unit cost.

And TSR-2 actually has a quite diverse weapons fit and it included roles such as anti shipping, etc. The big problem was the weapons weren't quite up to the task. I spent a lot of time looking at the missiles in Hangar 1 and they were dodgy creations.

I've kept up with all developments of the F-35 since it was first announced, seen just about every bit of video that's been released and yes, the Red Flag results were good. One thing that comes through is the pilots like how easy it is to fly. When you see the cockpit you'll know why. An extremely empty cockpit with no distractions, a clear layout and a flight control system that does the work for you. This leaves the pilot time to look at his sensor displays and manage the threat, he's fighting, not flying per se.

Also impressive is the Marine Corp use of the B on relatively small carriers. Mixed with a few V-22's you get a very impressive strike group. So what do we get here in the UK? A massive carrier with the B! Stupid decision. Either run the C off a big carrier or build a few more smaller carriers for the same cost, shove on the B and have a much smaller target. Politicians? Clueless!

Back to the kit though. The photos of the cockpit is on page 20 of F-35 Lightning, Air International Special 2014. Get the kit, you'll love/ hate it!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

...So what do we get here in the UK? A massive carrier with the B! Stupid decision. Either run the C off a big carrier or build a few more smaller carriers for the same cost, shove on the B and have a much smaller target. Politicians? Clueless!...Regards,

Bruce Crosby

That's what we all said back in 2010. Unfortunately the C can't curtsey like the Harrier, is too fast for the helicopters to keep up (or so it's been said) and would interfere with helicopter (am I at it again?!) operations because the jets come and go waaay tooo fast.

Over a quarter of a century ago when I was an aviation journo F-35-to-be was widely known as the JASF, or Joint (service) Advanced Strike Fighter. It was conceived as a low cost machine with an in-service date of around twelve-fifteen years ago, and I've heard Israel is already factoring its obsolescence within eight years. Without the source code to hand there are going to be a lot of hard-wired and strap-on additional capabilities added by the customers' boffins - that is certain in Britain and Israel - thereby adding some additional 'character' in the cockpit and some ingenious conformal stores arrangements.

I'm hoping Italeri follow its kit up with the F-35B, coincident with Britain's first seafaring examples. Mine will be EDSG and gloss white, with shiny ferry tanks and nice big roundels, the way it should be; but if they're boring shades of matt mushroom I'll do one in Deft 02GN084 aqua green primer, aka the spearmint toothpaste finish, with everything hanging out.

Tony

Hi Tony,

And here's me thinking I'm going crazy!

If I remember correctly the helmet systems are designed and built by BAe and they have to mesh with the base software intimately so I think any British add-ons will work. Israel is full of computer smart arses, mix that with a hard edge military and believe me, they will wring every drop of useability out of their planes.

And that lovely primer green would make a great model, can't wait to see what you can do. I've got a bottle of MRP Lemon Yellow Russian primer to whack onto a 1/48 Flanker, same idea, different plane.

Italeri will probably do the B, the Italian armed forces are buying the A and B versions with a lot of the assembly being done in Italy. That saves on the air fare to Lockheed!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby