My annual leave build, Tamiya A6M5

karimb

you've been busy!

Looks great!!

Shawn, thanks...lol yes ive been busy indeed...today a bit less than yesterday though, shes at a stage where things start to slow down a bit... tomorrow hopefully when more subassemblies are set together things should pick up again a bit lol

thanks for taking the time to leave a word :thumbsup:

Guest Peterpools

Karim

Glad you be spending time with Zoe today and catching up with all the goings on.

Absolutely beautiful work. It's easy to see you haven't lost a step and your touch is a precise as ever. Brilliant work with the PE and weathering, as everything looks just so good.

BTW, no more heart attacks ... take it easy and relax ... remember, this is also a vacation

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Good evening everyone!

Today's been a pretty busy day for me, not very much so on the modeling front...im not saying nothing got accomplished, but maybe not as much as i wanted to get done and out of the way...

its not going to be a very long post...

i started the day off with painting the inside details of the fuselage sidewalls and doing some oil fading on cockpit coloured areas. for the oil fading, i used yellow ochre, a light brown and dark grey from ak iteractive line of oil paints.

With the details painted and the fading done, it was time to close the fuselage halves up and the fit of the two parts was spectacular...no need for any puttying or sanding. i barely used the sanding stick to get rid of the glue joint and get a smooth bonded surface.

I retouched the painted area on top of the fuselage which is situated below the canopy and did some chipping with a lighter version of the interior green used beforehand. i also used the three oil colours to do some oil fading on that area and make it look weathered and sitting under the sun. i also added the eduard part to the back of the headrest assembly (or whatever the vertical protion of the spine would be called in this case)...

The vertical stabiliser was also assembled and to my surprise the metal movable pins work (i say to my surprise because the ones trumpeter copied off of tamiya never worked so i got in the habit of discarding them on all the trumpeter kits that use the mechanism...but not this time lol)...now we have a movable rudder woohoo...

I studied a couple of reference pictures that came with the tamiya booklet and i noticed a pretty in your face thing that i modified in the kit. there is a cable that runs behind the seat through the two top pulleys and runs down below the seat, so i added that using thin sewing white thread. i also got the harnesses out of the way today. I have mixed feelings about them...tamiya gives you some sort of sticky vinyl material thats like a printed sheet and you have to cut it out in the correct shape and then you 'insert' all the etch buckles...the system is nice because the completed belts are flexible and you can pose them in a more natural way compared to the fully photoetched harnesses you get in eduard kits, now the drawback is the way they look...they look like they are printed material on vinyl, so i used oils and a filter to try to tone out the glossy natrue of the material and after the treatment they looked much better...so that done too...i tackled the gun magazines/firewall and also used oil fading and streaking to get it tied in with the rest...its a real shame all the nice bits are going to be hidden when the assemblies go in...

I also worked on the proper firewall and the oil tank and this took quite a while, as i had completely forgotten i had the eduard engine set as being part of the biged set... so after having started to weather it i had to go back add the eduard etch parts and then paint those and redo the weathering to get everything to tie in... i used a glossy brown in layers to simulate engine oil and also used dark grey and a product called 'streaking grime' from ak in order to do some fading and general dirt... again most if not all of it is going to be hidden at the end...

last thing i did was to drybrush the mg's and apply a black wash to those to bring out the detail, also painted the handles and the etched connecting springs...

thats pretty much it to be honest... tomorrow i am taking my daughter out to play all morning so we'll get a move on in the afternoon probably plod on with the building part and get the cockpit subassemblies joined and photos taken for posterity lol...

Ill try to get as much 'building' out of the way tomorrow so we can start the priming and painting after tomorrow or the day after...

ill post some photos below let me know what you think of the way the harnesses came out

thanks for dropping by everyone

stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

Karim

Glad you be spending time with Zoe today and catching up with all the goings on.

Absolutely beautiful work. It's easy to see you haven't lost a step and your touch is a precise as ever. Brilliant work with the PE and weathering, as everything looks just so good.

BTW, no more heart attacks ... take it easy and relax ... remember, this is also a vacation

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Karim

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter my friend... what a day...i really enjoyed it just spending time with Zoe doing nothing but playing and taking care of her...

its an honor coming from you when you say i havent lost my touch lol...beleive it or not i was actually worried in the beginning and kindof picked this model out of the stash because it seemed to be the one that needed the least modification and surgery to come out accurate lol...im really happy though to have chosen this one as it is one of the nicest kits ive built in a long while my friend...

yup as you said i have decided to relax and take it easy since now i got the computer rig figured out and i am able to get in touch with you guys and post pictures and all, although the process is a bit slow uploading and all...

im glad you like the way shes turning out to be

and i am really happy to have you tagging along Pete

thanks for taking the time to leave a word

Karim