Aviattic Ansaldo A.1 Finished!

ericg

Now that the Lukgraph Corsair was finished I have started another kit that was sent to me to be be built for the site. There is always talk of comparisons of various kits to standards such as `Tamiya quality' or `just like a Wingnut Wings kit'. I would like to now introduce another standard by which kits are compared or measured up to and it is this one. I have built many different types of kits by different manufacturers and will give almost any kit a go in 1/32 scale. This one is by far the best quality kit I have worked on so far and Richard of Aviattic should be congratulated for defining a new standard. Practically everything is included in the kit to build it, apart from the rigging material. I wont go into a huge amount of detail with the build, as the build log included in the Aviattic website here: http://www.aviattic.co.uk/uploads/4/5/1/3/45139653/balilla_build_log.pdf has as much detail as is required to replace the instructions in the kit.

The box explodes with many ziplock bags containing all of the parts with a small business card with walk around type photos of the assembly. A couple of large high quality decals sheets, a fret of photo etch and much more awaits.

DSC06923-X3.jpg

First up was removing the bottom of the fuselage to start the more accurate depiction of the fuel tank.

DSC06927-X3.jpg

I then cleaned up the two engine bay bulkheads. These are nicely labelled with a part number on the casting block and had very minimal flash. More importantly, they are all dead straight and have no warpage.

DSC06924-X3.jpg

They both slotted straight into the fuselage.

DSC06928-X3.jpg

Edited by ericg

Hi Eric,

This kit looks amazing and I have been tempted to pick it up purely for that fact alone, unfortunately the aircraft just does nothing for me...

I will however be following along with great interest as you turn out another masterpiece.

Cheers,

Just read the build log. Are you kidding me? 

I am speechless at the skill level required to do what you are doing.

Great job!

Yes, it is quite apparent that this kit requires a step up in terms of skill level required above and beyond most kits I have worked on to date.

A pleasing aspect of the kit has been the presentation of the photo etched parts. These have been taped along one edge to some card, which allows the modeler to slip some thick acrylic sheet under the fret and then cut each part off as needed. In this case, I have been using a micro chisel to cut each part free.

DSC06950-X3.jpg

Some of the cockpit parts including the rudder bar and control column. I am really impressed with how many fine parts have been included on one casting block. Careful planning is required to ensure that each part comes off cleanly without damaging the one next to it.

DSC06941-X3.jpg

I have to say that some of the photo etch assemblies look quite daunting. Made up of multiple small parts, they need to be carefully studied to ensure that they are assembled correctly. This is the control bar detail, which is optional, as it will not be visible once installed. I thought I would tackle all parts of the kit including the optional assemblies, just to say that I have done them!

DSC06944-X3.jpg

The parts are sandwiched together and then pinned through two holes with some 0.3mm brass rod (self provided). The build log also calls for the round tube to be scratch built from either brass or plastic.

DSC06945-X3.jpg

The cockpit floor and details built up. The foot straps on the rudder bar were replaced with tamiya tape, which I made slightly wider than the kit photo etch parts.I did try and use the kit straps, but when I annealed them, they melted! The control column features some microscopic gun triggers which will require care to not lose. Follownig the build log, I made the column articulated by carefully drilling and pinning it. Also noticeable is the higher of the two control rods, which I replaced with brass as recommended in the build log.

DSC06955-X3.jpg

The next assembly is the aileron transfer bar, which is lots of photo etch parts and brass pins (17 including the resin part that it attaches to). this part is also listed as optional, as it cant be seen. I felt that I would tackle it just for the challenge. Provided that you dry fit it and work out how the part actually works, it isn't that hard!. I have used superglue to assemble all assemblies so far.

DSC06949-X3.jpg

The parts starting to take shape, dry fitted at this stage. Alot of thought is already going into how I am going to paint all of it!

DSC06958-X3.jpg

The instrument panel. Crisp and clean castings combined with photo etch parts. I am looking forward to bringing this assembly to life.

DSC06964-X3.jpg

Hi Eric,

This kit looks amazing and I have been tempted to pick it up purely for that fact alone, unfortunately the aircraft just does nothing for me...

I will however be following along with great interest as you turn out another masterpiece.

Cheers,

I reckon this kit will be a 'bucket list' kit, that is, one that modellers should aspire to build given the amount of effort that has gone into producing it by Richard for us modellers and the very nature that sets it apart from other kits. I wasn't initially drawn to the aircraft either, but there are many features that I am becoming fond of and can't wait to do such as the bare metal cowls contrasting with the wooden fuselage and the topside wings 'digital cam' with the painted motif on the sides.

Eric