Why I haven't been building any LSPs lately.....1/12 MFH Porsche 9

Bryan

I have coveted one of these MFH kits for years, but for a long time they didn't do any subjects that I couldn't resist (although the Porsche 917 was tempting me....still is).

When they released the 1/12 Porsche 956 I think I whipped out my credit card the same day.

So I started this kit in November of last year, and just finished it.  It was a long and complex build but by and large I greatly enjoyed it.

Thanks for looking.

ECxmXBU.jpg

3u5qBPS.jpg

lPBGVTb.jpg

r4u20pN.jpg

3hwuDR6.jpg

Edited by Bryan

Beautiful build. Yours is the first one I've seen built. I have the Rothmans version in my stash but after looking at it in the box,in kind of intimidated by it. How was the build? Anything particularly fiddlely or difficult?

Carl

Beautiful build. Yours is the first one I've seen built. I have the Rothmans version in my stash but after looking at it in the box,in kind of intimidated by it. How was the build? Anything particularly fiddlely or difficult?

Carl

I want to say overall the kit was brilliant....in terms of the quality of what it includes and the overall potential.  For a limited run kit, everything was engineered well and fit well.

Having said that, I struggled a bit with it in several places.  The basic problem is tolerance stacking.  The kit is so complex that there is no way to trial fit all the complex assemblies.  You just have to carefully epoxy things in place, trying to get them positioned exactly as intended.  But the alignment of subsequent pieces depends on the perfect alignment of the pieces that came before....everything stacks on top of and is connected to everything else.   So after about 6 or 7 "layers" of this, tolerances start to grow and the final pieces may not line up exactly as intended.  In my case that manifested itself in the bodywork.  I had to do a hell of a lot of tweaking and sanding and bondoing of the doors and the front and rear covers to get them to fit properly.  I'm sure this was due to imperfect assembly on my part of the underlying bits, but if I had to do it all over again I'm not sure what I could have done differently to avoid the problem.  You just have to do your best and have faith, basically.

Also, the clear parts for the windscreen and headlight fairings are vac formed out of very thin and soft plastic that you have to very precisely cut out to fit properly.  Not too difficult, but very, very tedious.  Make sure you don't scratch them, as they are too soft to polish well if you do and just kind of haze over.  I don't even want to go into what I went through to get my windshield looking decent after scratching it while cutting it out.

Another challenge is that virtually all the gluing required epoxy.  Some might be able to use CA glues, but I used epoxy nearly everywhere.   Epoxy as you know does not stick or hold until it cures....so I had to devise all sorts of elaborate methods to clamp things while the epoxy was setting.

I don't want to sound like I am dissatisfied with the kit....overall it is by far the most incredible kit I have ever built.....but they sell them as being meant only for experienced modelers and they mean it.  These things do not fall together like a Tamiya or Hasegawa kit, and I think I probably would have been a bit disappointed if it did.  The challenge is half the fun.

I can tell you I am already trying to figure a way to get my hands on another one....like the 1/12 Ferrari 250 GTO.

Thanks for the info Bryan. I'll definitely have to keep it all in mind when I get around to starting mine. I have a couple other kits of theirs so might start with one of those first.

The GTO kits look impressive too.

Carl