Glenn Hoover: How To Build Kitty Hawk’s OS2U Kingfisher Model

LSP_Kevin

Good for Glenn for putting this book out!

But that should speak volumes to Kitty Hawk if their instructions are that "foggy" for the average builder. I never in my lifetime thought I would see a third party put out instructions for a kit on the market.  But after reading all the online comments about the difficulty with this kit, I might just have to pony up for the book when I decide to pull mine off the shelf.

It does look like a good tip book, but having built one for Glen, and having my own, I honestly have to say Im not sure this is 100% necessary.  There definitely are niggles with the kit, like the engine mounts, float mounts and some hidden steps like drilling out the tip float holes, but I cant for the life of me see why people seem to think the kit has so many problems. 

Looks to be an interesting book. Thanks for posting your review. I have two kits with the first well along and past all the "$?!*£%*!" steps. It is a difficult build that requires some planning. I love the aircraft so I will build them. This book can augment my marked up instructions sheet with all the WTF and squiggly drawings and notes about rearranging steps and the "do not do it like this".

The product placement is interesting. Not sure I need much of it but it will probably help someone.

Rick

Guest Smitty44

Good for Glenn for putting this book out!

But that should speak volumes to Kitty Hawk if their instructions are that "foggy" for the average builder. I never in my lifetime thought I would see a third party put out instructions for a kit on the market. But after reading all the online comments about the difficulty with this kit, I might just have to pony up for the book when I decide to pull mine off the shelf.

ya well there are build guides for just about every Tamiya release as well so....I built one and it was really no problem at all.

ya well there are build guides for just about every Tamiya release as well so....I built one and it was really no problem at all.

I'm curious: do the build guides contain any information not found via a search engine?  I always look at WIP threads when possible, and take notes. 

I haven't seen and looked  into these books, and i'll give them their merit, but sometimes i wonder how this modelling venture is turning into: a "kindergartenassistanceprogram" for modellers who know perfectly well, even the beginners, how to interpret or adjust points of building the model at hand into fruition.........

Ofcourse there ARE kits that need some kind of assistance in building, but really people,  we are modellers aren't we? So adjusting, even the most simple way (to your own satisfaction ofcourse) shouldn't be a big problem........or should it???

Nice review and interesting book. I am very surprised that somebody would come out with such a publication - but, all the power to them!

I guess this is a result of the current trend of expectations on behalf of certain modelers... I believe in the Western World we have become acustomed to having others do our thinking for us. We have forgotten what it is like to have to apply critical thinking to solve problems and to experiment and follow the path of trials and tribulations to finally achieve success... I remember the senior Mr. Tamiya used to leave out one critical step in all the instruction manuals to ‘foster' critical thinking and problem solving skills. He believed it was healthy for the mind to be exercised in solving construction steps while building a kit - it made the construction stage that much more interesting. However, that was then - this is now... today, the modern age of having all the ptoblems solved, challenges removed and thinking done for you... I personally still enjoy the challenge of a complex build, modification or super detailing... but, young people nowadays probably don't have any inclination to have to think anything through and apply critical thinking so for them, such a publication is just fine! I would rather sit down, open the new kit and explore the sprues, the instruction manual and begin the mental adventure of building something from history.... learning how it was desinged, constructed, and operated...

Each to their own I guess, but I won't be buying this publication!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Guest Clunkmeister

Interesting book, and I may buy one just to support him.

The kit is a straightforward build, but I'm sure some will find the book valuable.

I fear we that many people have chosen to be come "Kit Assemblers" as opposed to "Model Builders."

Guest Clunkmeister

One thing that boggles my mind is the amount of misinformation and derision continually thrown out there regarding Kitty Hawk Models.

"You build KH Models?"   People ask this with looks of wonder in their eyes, seriously. They see some of my KH builds and they can't believe it's a KH kit.

The Kingfisher builds well, the T-6 builds well, the F-86D builds well, and both versions of the T-28 build well. I've never done the OV-10, but will.

But the over-the-top hate and derision has long since become a standing joke to those of us who look forward to and eagerly build all of the new Kitty Hawk releases.

The negativity is a head scratcher for me. Some of the blogs on the net seem to be organizing a lynch mob. Geesh. All models have some challenges built into them. The kingfisher is a bit over engineered (engine cross cylinder oil lines) causing some WTF but My biggest challenge was moving to the new level of painting skill: the dreaded gloss paint.

Rick

Guest Clunkmeister

^^^^^ :rofl: ^^^^^

Like I said, Rick, those of us who go out of our way to build Kitty Hawk actually have a standing joke on this.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Maxim

I appreciate that someone has gone to a lot of work to publish the book and help modellers out with the build but I'd rather put the money towards another Kingfisher! The kit just takes patience and planning ahead. It's a nice kit and I have several that I plan to place on a scratch built ship catapult diorama of the Missouri.