Hungarian Bf109G-14, Part II

dodgem37

Thank you, Sparzanza, for such a nice compliment.

Thank you, Kevin.  Yes, please move it to WIP.

Thank YOU!, Brother Bear.  I would like to be building as frequently as I had been but I had put many things aside to do so.  I currently don't have the time to build during the week as before.  Now I build on the weekends, and then, it appears, only for a short time.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Splendid work Mark, I am admiring your ability to scratch build fine parts without use of the aftermarket trinkets. Funny , just yesterday I met my friend Wolf and we were discussing my attempts to convert Revells G6 into K4. Then the conversation somehow turned towards your Mustang build with all of the bells and whistles . A big inspiration for worthless mortals such myself :)

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Martin

Thank you, Loic.

Thank you, Boris.

Thank you, Martin.  Converting a Revell late G-6 to a K-4.  That is a LOT of cowling work.  The wheel well structural detail is different between the two, as well as the wheel bulge, the propeller blades, and I think the cowling intake.  That would be a real effort.  Hasegawa's K-4 isn't terrible.  I've got an extra one if you think you'd like to build one sometime.  Just PM me with your address.  FOC.

The Mustang, oh yes.  I've broken it out of storage and have been studying it to see where I can begin again.  Engine/firewall or wheel well/wings.  I've got to start somewhere to get an assembly finished.  The wheel wells will be less involved than the engine so maybe I'll start there, then after I've warmed up I can move on to the engine/firewall.

And speaking of Mustangs, where is Wolfs' Mustang?  Talk about a humbling experience.  Whenever I see Wolfs' presentations I take up reading as a distraction from my own inadequacy.

Thank you for the compliment.  Worthless mortal my bum!!

All the best, always.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Thank you for the generous offer Mark, I am actually using Hasegawa's front end and cockpit bits for this project. Since the Revell's kit has modular breakdown the work is much easier . So if you need parts of Hasegawa's 109 , please say so.

Wolfs Mustang is slowly getting into something insane, I believe he has a crew of tiny workers in order to achieve the finest detail possible.

Also I have been slowly but surely luring him into the dark side by passing him the 262, 109, 152, 88 and so on :), hoping for some modelling insanity in LW colors.

I hope you do not mind me to post a few pictures of the K4 conversion in your topic.

Cheers

Martin

o9005_zps5d05774c.jpgo9_zpsd6ddbc36.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

If Wolf is moving into the Luftwaffe I think it's time I moved into something esoteric.

It's been a long time since Wolf posted a Mustang update.  Maybe you can coax him into doing so.

I don't mind other posts at all.  It didn't occur to me that you would marry the Hasegawa nose to the Revell fuselage.  Very smart.  Tell me about the forward yellow filler (also the filler brand name).  Is that aspect misshaped?  I see you are adding the wing root structural band instead of scoring it.  Have you discovered that it is a raised element?  You've GOT to tell me, with the fuselage and wings together why the cockpit appears unpainted?

I like how you've tied everything together, especially the bulge area. It appears as if you located the bulge on some .005 sheet.  I think the cowl top/gun trough and cowl side connection is a panel line, and the area in front of the windshield is paneled also.  Don't forget to score the tail wheel doors. Quite a nice piece of work so far.  Keep us posted.

No need for K-4 parts now.  But who knows what will happen in the future?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

I suppose that Wolf will  bring update about his Mustang build soon. One can only say, if you enjoyed his Spitfire, this is going to be a different kind of inquisition :)

The Revell fuselage is much more refined than hasegawa's, and by using it the G10 will relate closer to the K4 in regards of the shape. The tail wheel door are build up from the yellow putty as well, there was no way around it, due the presence of a bulge at the rear of the door. That is another often omitted detail .

The wing bulges are from Wolf's G-10, he is determined to build Erich Hartmann's plane , so we swapped the bulges. OK, The fit in this area is not perfect, but nothing to worry about.

The structural bands were made of steel and riveted over the wing root . Last year I had a chance to lay my paws on Buchon, realizing that the fit is not as perfect as they say on two dimensional blueprints. Also the are raised and not always following the desired shape of wing/fuselage transition.  I am planing to send them down into a smooth submission nevertheless still prominently raised.

The yellow filler is  Tamiya Resin Putty. It works  like a charm it's sand able and easily scribable :).

Free-shiping-Tamiya-tamiya-font-b-ab-b-f

I had to change the shape of the whole cowling trying to match  it to available photographs. Asymmetry of  the cowling is quite apparent to everybody, but there  are not many manufactures that came close to depict  this feature correctly. Perhaps FineMolds in 1/72 scale.

Needles to say that the whole front end section has to be rescribed, or rather should be :)

dmple_zps7c1ed300.jpg

OK, in 1/32 scale I can paint the cockpit afterwards, :innocent: I know , I was told already. Instrument panel and few more details will be added after the main pit is painted and weathered.

I am looking forward to the progress on your one O nines

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Martinnfb

Martin ~ I have this photo in references, tho in B & W.  It's nice to see it in color.  Looks a LOT worn out than the color profiles offered.  Many thanks for posting a color rendition of this aircraft, as the scheme is a fave of mine.  If you're interested, Revells' molding of the Hasegawa K-4 has decals for this aircraft.

Thank you, Kevin.  It's nice to be working on it.  No more scratch-building from here on out.  Just some filling, shaping and gluing prior to painting, to which I'm looking forward.

Thank you very much, Rick.  You make scratch-building look easy as well.  I absolutely love those Bazooka Joe's you've been working on, not to mention all of the other details.  Great stuff.  I'm finally back from Colorado.  Wonderful country.  Beautifully amazing.  All of those lucky mountain high folks bicycling around and going to rodeos.  Sure beats the city.  I'll PM soon so we can plan a play-date.  Right now I'm busy catching up with lost time.  Lots of home tending, as it were.

Sincerely,

Mark

Nice work there Mark.
Question for Martin if you don't mind?

Given the assertion in some areas that the Hasegawa fuselage is too shallow through the engine egg and firewall and the suggestion that the new Revell G is on the money in this area, how did the cross kitting of the"shallow" Hasegawa nose to the "correct" fuselage work out for you?

Was there a step between the two? Any chance of an image of the lower side join?

Curiousity is killing me!

Great work there Martin. 

Edited by Kais

Thank you, Kais.  If you're speaking to me about asking Martin a question on this thread, no, I don't mind.

Thank you, Mr. b.  Now I'm working on fitting the wings to the center panel and the wing assembly to the fuselage. The connections don't fit together as seamlessly now as they did when 'new' but I'm working on a solution to that problem.  I'll post more when I can.

Thank you for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark