Photo

Would you purchase a resin conversion for the Dragon Bf 110?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

Poll: Bf 110-G Nightfighter Conversion (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you purchase a resin conversion for the Dragon Bf 110?

1. Yes even if I had to place a deposit of half the amount ($75 of $150) that would be refundable if the project didn't go forward (27 votes [30.34%])

Percentage of vote: 30.34%

2. Yes, if the deposit was no more than $50 (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

3. Yes, if the deposit was only $25 (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

4. Not if any up-front cash was required (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

5. Not interested in the airplane (38 votes [42.70%])

Percentage of vote: 42.70%

Vote

#1 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

I have spoken with Gary Hatherly of GT Resin, and he's intrigued about all the fuss over a resin conversion of the Dragon Bf-110 kit from the earlier versions to the iconic G-4 night fighter. He has said he might be willing to undertake our wet dream, but only if the following conditions are met:

1. A minimum of 30 buyers would commit to the set (likely priced around $150)
  2. Those 30 buyers would be willing to plunk down a deposit (refundable if the project goes forward, but not if you change your mind)
  3. The group could provide Gary with the plans, drawings, details, etc. of what's needed (hey, he's a jet jockey, not a propeller head)
  4. We tell him what the conversion set should include (engine nacelles, rudders, nose, flame dampers, cockpit).

He mentioned something about the G's wings being larger than the earlier versions. I was not aware of this, and would recommend that he work off the last kit released, the E variant.

Let the dialogue begin.

• harvey, reconspit, Out2gtcha and 1 other like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#2 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Im probably not the BIGGEST fan of the G-4, but I have in fact always wanted one, and as we all know, that is way easier said than done!   Like Bill pointed out, I believe there is a WHOLE LOT to this conversion, and although not impossible and I feel I could pull it off, I would be MUCH more interested if there was a NICE conversion out there.

I saw the tan G-4 conversion (dont remember who made it?) at teh 2011 NATs here in Omaha and was FAR from impressed.   

• harvey, Bill Cross and mark31 like this

#3 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

I'm more than happy with my D, but there is a Kagero Topdrawings of the G with plans, some of which are in 1/32 - I haven't seen the publication just read reviews.

• Rick Griewski, harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack and 1 other like this

#4 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

I seem to be collecting night fighters/intruders at the moment, I have a Dragon 110 lurking in the stash and can't decide on a scheme as the boxing I have has options to do a D or an E. However I'm more than willing for a conversion to be able to do a Spook of St. Trond G model.
  • harvey and Bill Cross like this

#5 Mark P

Mark P

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

I am not aware of a change to the wings during the course of the Bf 110 development, other than the earlier rounded wingtips being discontinued. In addition, a note of caution, there were three different cowl designs to the Bf 110 G... 

Mark Proulx

• harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack, Bill Cross and 1 other like this

#6 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

I am not aware of a change to the wings during the course of the Bf 110 development, other than the earlier rounded wingtips being discontinued. In addition, a note of caution, there were three different cowl designs to the Bf 110 G... 

Mark Proulx

Mark, we likely would need to place a line in the sand SOMEWHERE and likely do a particular version or maybe 2 in 1, unless there would be a groundswell of support for all three cowls.

According to Gary, the expense isn't in the casting but the CAD designs and plans. So one cowl or three, it's all a matter of someone doing up CAD plans.

For the record, I'm not advocating anything in particular, just attempting to see if Gary can get his investment back from 30 sales.

• harvey and MARU5137 like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#7 mark31

mark31

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Im probably not the BIGGEST fan of the G-4, but I have in fact always wanted one, and as we all know, that is way easier said than done!   Like Bill pointed out, I believe there is a WHOLE LOT to this conversion, and although not impossible and I feel I could pull it off, I would be MUCH more interested if there was a NICE conversion out there.

I saw the tan G-4 conversion (dont remember who made it?) at teh 2011 NATs here in Omaha and was FAR from impressed.   

+1

I didnt see that on the nats but i had a conversion set over here and the details and fit wherent good

Mark

Ps i will be intrested

#8 Mark P

Mark P

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

Bill:

Yes, I would agree with you. No need for three different designs in a resin set. My point was to highlight the fact that there are three different types of cowls, something few people are aware of. 

Next question, what of decals for a G? That always a big factor in any resin set.

Mark Proulx

#9 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

Next question, what of decals for a G? That always a big factor in any resin set.

Was wondering about that too!    Would Eli/Zotz be interested in something like that?

#10 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

Im in and would be happy to contribute what ever ref materials I have to the cause (as long as I get them back).

AFAIK there is no wing change for the G's.

I'd have to check dimensions but could we use existing aftermarket 109 late model props?

We can keep it simple and not go adding the 20mm canon noses (R1,R2, etc), just use the existing kit 'E' nose like a G2 Variant.

Rudders, I would be willing to provide my Kit parts for the conversion basis

Engine Nacelles, I would be willing to provide my Kit parts for the conversion basis

Cockpit, really just needs the roll over structure aft of the pilot and the upward firing canons.

Canopy, I'd have to check my kit to see if it comes with armor glass or not, we'll need a new aft section for the canopies (vac would be fine to me)

Radiators/oil coolers, I would need to check the details

Tail Wheel, I'd have to check as it may be different.

Same for tail gear, Im pretty sure the 'G' had a torque link

Exhaust is the same until you get to the flame dampers

I feel, if we can get a good solid engine nacelle and spinner, rudder and ____ conversion, we should be good.

Edited by Shawn M, 17 August 2017 - 05:46 PM.

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#11 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

for decals, enough masks are out there we could cobble together whatever we need.

If someone were to pony up some decal sets, that would be awesome as well :D

#12 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

All good questions, and I applaud the crowdsourcing inclinations.

The first question, second question and thirtieth question is: do we have 30 souls willing to plunk down a deposit for the conversion? All the rest we can work out, but we have to make Gary whole financially if he's going to take on the project. That's only fair. Eli would be a likely one for decals. I used the Peddinghaus sheet for my build, and I didn't particularly like it (his stuff tends to clump together and shred).

• harvey and Shawn M like this

#13 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

If we can get the interest (committed) I will donate my whole kit, cash and books (assuming I get books and a conversion back) for the cause.

I will sit down tonight and pour over my refs.

The real decision comes down to what version of cowls and nose we all want.

To be honest I was not aware of the 3 cowling variants, just all the noses by version and Rustatz

#14 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

If we can get the interest (committed) I will donate my whole kit, cash and books (assuming I get books and a conversion back) for the cause.

I will sit down tonight and pour over my refs.

The real decision comes down to what version of cowls and nose we all want.

To be honest I was not aware of the 3 cowling variants, just all the noses by version and Rustatz

That's what makes this place so great.

I would humbly suggest that we look at how the conversion would INTERACT with the kit. For example, the G had a belly pod with 20mm cannons in it. I don't believe this is in the E kit. There is also the question of sufficient 20mm cannons so that a Schraege Musik array could be included. Do we need engines for the kit? The G had the DB605 while the E in the Dragon kit will be the 601s. There is also the question of how the radar array for the nose is handled. Schattonmodelbau used to have the radar masts in the right combo and size, but I don't know how regularly they are made and if there would be 30 we could purchase?

• harvey and Shawn M like this

#15 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

There is at least one Montex set for the G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users