Grumman G22 aka Gulfhawk II aka F2.5F-2

Hubert Boillot

Thanks for your encouragements guys ! ;) Not sure they are totally deserved, but good to have nevertheless!

Hans:

a) I looked at the photos of the actual Gulfhawk I gathered on the net (thank God there are plenty of them !). But it is when looking at these ones that I realised that sometimes the ignition ring was in front of the push rods, sometimes behind them, and that the ingnition wires (two per cylinder) were sometimes equally spaced, but more often close together. I wish I had found the link between engine version and these details, but in fairness I have not (yet ? ...)

b)The seller I got the CD from has the nickname classic-rc on eBay (US). He has many drawings for sale right now, but not the CD unfortunately...

Hubert.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Guest Peterpools

Nothing like going the full distance and correcting all the problems. Amazed at the creative solutions are where you are going. Looks great. :goodjob:

Peter

:popcorn:

Thanks to all for your kind words and interest :blush: !

Some more progress today. As already mentioned, the pushrods need to be added to the Vector engine. I used 0,03" (0,75 mm) Evergreen rod for that. The pushrods have a distinct fitting near the crankcase :

Pg61628_1.jpg

Vector has included a very good representation of this part, but here again you have to rely on butt-joints, and very precise length of the pushrods. Plus they are evenly distributed, and the cylinders are not. So I decided to do this myself. I cut a 20 thou square strip from Evergreen in 2mm-long blocks, which I glued at one end of the pushrods. After a few trials, I decided to wrap this in a cigarette-paper strip. The benfit is that I could paint it in silver with a black-centered stripe using paint-pens. To cut the 2 millimeters-wide strips of the very thin paper, I used another great tool I found via paper-modelling : an Olfa parallel cutter. This is one of the greatest inventions since sliced bread ! :clap2:.

Piccies to explain :

DSCF1133.jpg

DSCF1134.jpg

The paper strips wre wound around the plastic rod, until the layers gave some added depth. The back of the paper strips was cated with paper glue.

Afeter some additional work, this how the engine looks like tonight. A close inspection will reveal that the pushrods are not perfectly distributed, owing to the difference between the front reduction-gear crankcase and its pushrods holes being evenly distributed and the cylinders which are offset, but it will look OK in a passing glance...:ph34r:

DSCF1136.jpg

That's all for the day. Thanks for looking.

Hubert.

Guest Peterpools

Hubert

The big radial is looking good. Thanks for pointing out the detail on the pushrods.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hubert,

As always my friend another Masterpiece in the making.Very impressive P/W with all those wonderful details.Looking forward to your next update.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Vaughn and Gregory (long time no see Gregory ...)

Thank you for your comments...unfortunately no progress last week-end nor this one. Too many other obligations :( ....and it's going to be the same next week. Fortunately we have a long week-end the one after with a "bridge" from the 14th (a thursday) over to the sunday...

Hubert.

• 1 month later...

Hubert,Any progress on this? I think there are many watching because they(like me!) have this kit in their stash. It's always good to see different fixes applied to these old kits.

Hi Mike,

No progress I am afraid, or at least none that I can show... Been busy with many other family and business obligations that kept me off the bench for ... is it FIVE weeks already :o :( :angry2: ?

I have decided to try and redo the engine. this irregular repartition of the cylinders is bugging me ...

Well, back from vacation yesterday, and another five days of free time before going back to work. Expect something before this coming sunday !

Hubert.