P-51 cockpit

Tony O

Denie,

thanks, it could all still go pearshaped mate!

I've been looking at several pics i have of cripes a mighty 3rd and it appears, based on comparison of the printed greytones to be a mid blue colour. I've colour pics of Bodney birds published in the Roger freeman 8th AF books and these range from what looks like the insignia blue colour to a pale almost 'powder' or french blue for want of a better description. I'm not a great fan of colours straight from the bottle but there must be a premixed shade for this from someone like Testors etc. However the pics also show quite a bit of wear and tear along with staining. As Mark pointed out in an earlier post, there is overspray on the prop cuffs which is a good comparitor for tonal value and as insignia blue and black are very close in most mono prints its a safe bet that Preddy's a/c had a homebrew mix for its nose. It also appears to be a matt or slightly sheen finish depending on the lighting conditions when the originals were taken. As light affects colour so dramatically, I rekon i can get away with mixing a few shades of blue, photographing them with my trust Sony Mavica in mono and then trying to compare the mixes with the pictures. Is this gonna drive me mad? ..probably....

Mark says the invasion stripes were brushed on...and a couple of the pics we have been talking about show that the wing stripes don't line up top to bottom..which blows another modelling theory out of the water..that all D-Day stripes were symmetrical and perfect or even white and black...I'm sure the un-evenness ( is this a word?) of the coat and the temporary nature of the paint would soon bring in an element of grayness...

oh my head hurts now...

you must be a kiwi judging by the avatar? I've always maintained that if I win the lottery I'm going to visit the NZ warbirds collection at Wanaka.

cheers

Tony

Tony,

Your work looks good on the mustang. I am doing the same build (Cripes A Mighty 3rd) but am no where near as far along as you (due mostly to a recent move). I just removed the fin fillet and will start rescribing soon. As far as the blue is concerned here is a link to a really nice build up by Roger Jackson of the 1/48 Monogram P-51 on modelingmadness.

http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/allies/u.../jackson51d.htm

I thought he indicated what color blue he painted the nose, but after re-reading the build it isn't mentioned.

Check out the link below for some color charts from the Model Master line up of paints. In the Model Master II line it looks like maybe Cobalt Blue from the Figure Paints or the Bright Blue from the FS colors (FS35183) might be a good match.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/pmodels/charts.html

Do you have Mike Grant's wonderful decals for this bird? If not I can highly recommend them. Also note on the picture of Cripes 3rd posted earlier that there is a stencil leter O painted between the prop part number and the Hamilton Standard logo. This decal is not provided on Mike's sheet, but maybe he could add it in a future release.

Here is a picture from the July 18, 1944 mission in which he claimed 4 Ju88's. Notice the 'O' stencil on the prop blades.

http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/assoc/gal....cripes3rd.html

Steve

For those interested, the starboard ram air breather gate was covered as well.

I have a short piece of video showing Preddy taxiing toward the camera

and kicking a 180 to port with a nice view of the full starboard side.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...just for those interested #>wink.gif #>wink.gif

At some point I'm goning to have to cut my loses and finish this thing! there is so much info around for what on the face of it seemed a relatively sraightforward model....thanks to all Mike, MArk, Scooter? Chris for the insights into preddys steed.

cheers

Tony

I thought the salt technique was in a FSM mag? I am not sure where it is either. However, the technique as I recall is to take some small rock salt, or regular salt if you want fine chips, (I would think a mix of sizes would be best - maybe rock salt with some of it ground down?), wet it, apply to model where you want chips, let it dry, paint, then using water and a soft towel remove the salt to reveal the chips. They also suggested to kind of rub it in using the salt chips as an abrasive to give a more worn paint look to areas. Obviously, some trial and error is involved.

It sounds like an interesting technique, I may try it myself!

and the supercharger filter blanking plate. this was done with toothpaste tube as I'd gone too far down the road to start filling and sanding the kit area, and besides I'm starting to lose interest a little...

the next job is the canopy ....guaranteed headache .

Does anyone have any suggestions on using the Squadron vac canopy. I need to build up the interior framing ( I have acces to a real, if heavily corroded one and it is quite substantial) but getting this attached to the vac clear part without damaging it is the whole reason for doing something else!

cheers

Tony

note also that my scribing really isnt reminiscent of british trenching techniques on the Somme, its just the lightsource of my workroom window was throwing long shadows....

post-4-1064824269.jpg

listen, they're supposed to be fasteners..no wait I can see movement.

I've since repainted the whole thing in white primer as the mid grey was too dark for the Alclad. maybe enough primer will fill up the trenches

I got your e-mail...

David Blaine the man in the plastic box..a bit pointless don't ya think? ..apparently Paul McCartney went down there to have a look and someone picked him up and threw him at the box...

now if someone were to set fire to the box that would be entertainment, but he's just trying to be a 'thinking mans' David Copperfield, trouble is most of the dead heads who go and look at him have lost the power of thought...it went the knowledge of how to make fire pushed every other bit of information out of their tiny heads...

have fun and I'll think more on the DB phenomenon that is a man in a perspex box suspended above a river ( why? if the box goes into the Thames, will it melt will he get eaten by phiranas? better suspended above the M25, that way if it fell into the road he would be able to magic his way out of the ensuing multiple pile up!

As Paul Daniels ( small bald Brit 'magician') would say "now thats magic!"

Alternatively he could come round to my house and magic a perfect cripes a mighty.....or a lottery winning card...or less antagonistic kids...

cheers

T

Just to add to the discussion on metal elevators, I have been corresponding with Martin Kyburz who runs the excellent Swiss Mustangs website.

He provided information on the Tech. Orders which introduced the metal surfaces on the assembly line and outlined the retrofitting at unit level. The Tech. Orders were dated August 31, 1945 and Oct 8, 1945; after hostilities had ended in Europe. So it should be safe to assume that 8th AF Mustangs, and RAF Mustangs in Europe, would have had fabric surfaces.

The Swiss Mustang website is worth a look if you are interested in Mustangs at all.

Cheers,

Richard Palimaka