Eek! A better airbrush! What have I done??

Gazzas

HI guys,

Since I came back to the hobby a few years back, I have been using this airbrush:

Neo-Iwata-TRN1-Gravity-Feed-Airbrush-600

Eventually I came to understand that it liked very thin, almost watery paint.  The only bottle paint I never thinned was Alclad polished aluminum.

It's best feature is the knob at the very back.  No-matter how hard you pull on the trigger, that nob regulates your paint flow by restricting the retraction of the needle.

It's main weakness was that it was difficult to work in places like the wing root.  Trying to paint exhaust stains was very difficult.

Yesterday, I got this:

Iwata_Revolution_CR_Airbrush_05mm_Nozzle

My first attempt to use it were very messy.  My finger wasn't very well able to cope with the double action.  I should say fingers, I tried both hands as I found using it very awkward. 

My first attempt was with my usual self-mixed watery acrylic paint.  It was very spit-ty at lower pressures and hard to control at higher pressures.  I tried some thicker paints and was able to get some better results.

Still, I found it difficult to use. 

Does anybody have any tips that might help me get better with this?  I've watched some youtube videos on it, but most vids seem geared to airbrush experts vice this airbrush n00b.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gaz

Here is the link with the You Tube video for that model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_650007&feature=iv&src_vid=B5nRNcNM16g&v=HvpuFM2dpdw#t=1s

I would practice literally doing exactly as the instructor does, step-by-step, until yours does exactly as his.

Since one of his first subjects is a figure, and you have a pilot figure that needs painting, you should have fun.

Once your there, I also suggest that you also look to the right for additional instructional videos that begin with the phrase "How to..." and "Basic..."

Edited by Gigant

Gaz, I feel your pain!  Switching over to the Vallejo Model Air had me going nuts with sputtering paint, spiders, everything.  I finally started with the basics as recommended by the manufacturer.

With my Iwata I don't thin very much at all (10-15%) with Model Master Acryl and it shoots beautifully.  With Vallejo its closer to 25-30%, plus retardant and flow improver.  But now those paints shoot well too.  It was all about learning the chemistry and air pressures.

So you might want to grab something from your shelf of doom and have at it as you get used to various mixtures of paint with your new airbrush.  Also matters greatly what needle you have .35 vs larger or smaller also changes the chemistry. 

BTW, I tried using my 'usual' mixtures with the H&S Infinity with the .2 needle in place.  Oh yeah, that was a disaster.... All gummed up!

Good luck!

Chris

Guest Peterpools

HI Gaz

Excellent choice and it's one of my three go to air brushes for daily use.

Practice, Practice and practice a bit more. Getting use to a double action air brush just takes a bit of time. I always air brush the same, no matter what AB I'm using. Depending on the the type of paint I shooting, my thinning procedure is a bit different but I keep the paint on the thin side.

Tamiya 50:50

MRP; Straight from the bottle with a few drops of retrader

Mr Color: 50:50

I also shoot at very ,ow working air pressures and pretty close to the model surface.

I press the trigger down and then slowly pull back on it untill the paint starts to flow. It take a while to get the feel but it's air first, then paint.

Fingers crossed

Peter

Getting to know your airbrush is the most important thing Gaz, and it takes a while! Double action brushes take some getting used to, how much downward pressure to put on the trigger to achieve different thickness or weight of line is a skill all of its own. As the others have said, practice at every available opportunity. Good luck, we've all been there!!!

Max

I think it's just a matter of practice, dont worry. I started with a "standard airbrush" (the kind you hold like a pen) and i bought the same Iwata pistol grip last year. It was my 4th or 5th airbrush, and my first pistol grip. I also had some difficulties in the beginning, as the moves are just not the same at all.

Just thin you paint like a kind of milk (like Alclad or any other airbrush ready paint). It's called double action, but in fact it's not really "double" as you dont ajust the airflow with your finger but with the manometer. You finger only control the paint. You just press the "trigger" (it's not really a trigger but you understand...), it release the air, and then you gently pull it to the rear until you get the right amount of paint. Just practice on a sheet of paper, try to write some text, to draw geometric forms, fill them.... After a few tries i'm sure you'll find it easy as child's play.

Then, when you have some very complex and thin stuff to paint on a model, you can use both of your hands to hold the airbrush, as it's quite difficult to move accurately but smoothly with only one hand.

I have that AB and love it!

Easy to use and clean.

Practice with water colors or just water even on carboard.

It will take some getting used to coming from the pistol grip style.

Shawn,

I hear ya.  After just a few minutes, my hands were saying:  "WTH??"

Gaz

One day I shall learn how to easily and quickly clean my airbrush. Then I might start to enjoy using it

Richard

Windshield washer fluid. It's cheap and it does the job with all the acrylics I use. When done painting, put a few drops in the cup and wipe most of the paint out with a paper towel. Now fill the cup about 1/2 way and use a throwaway paint brush to scrub. Dump it out. Wipe the cup. Repeat. Dump. Now fill the cup about 1/2 again and spray it through the brush. Take off the needle shroud and wipe off the tip. Done. Couple of drops of Badger needle oil in the cup and it's good to go next time. <5 minutes if you really take your time at it. Hasn't clogged up yet.