Car Door Typhoon

phoenix 54

Bubble tops had 5 spoke wheels

OK, thanks.

Seems dangerous to be too dead certain that you know in absolute terms that something did or did not happen 70+ years ago. Every time you think you know something, some new evidence seems to pop up to contradict it.

Here's what might prove to be an interesting puzzler for some: car door or bubble top?

fa_18523s_zps4gelkixt.jpg

My thoughts. That's a 56 under that airman's right hand, making this 56 squadron. This is apparently a posed wartime shot. You'll see a 12" wide, chord-wise band extending back from the inboard cannon. According to Camouflage and Markings these were in effect from about July 1942 to around the middle of 1943, although they didn't just simply go away all at once. Again according to C & M, the yellow bands were rendered obsolete by the advent of the underwing alternating black and white I.D. bands, although frequently both could be seen together. When did the first bubble tops start entering squadron service, fall 1943? Have you ever seen a bubble top with these chord-wise yellow bands? I know, never say never, right? If I had to make an educated guess I'd say this was a car door Typhoon.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by TBC

Those plugs look like cork stoppers.  I guess that would work.  Is that the infamous yellow band on top of the wing lined up with the inboard gun muzzle?  If so, then my guess would be car door.

Best regards

Patrick

Edited by Patrick HMD

My thoughts. That's a 56 under that airman's right hand, making this 56 squadron. This is apparently a posed wartime shot. You'll see a 12" wide, chord-wise band extending back from the inboard cannon. According to Camouflage and Markings these were in effect from about July 1942 to around the middle of 1943, although they didn't just simply go away all at once. Again according to C & M, the yellow bands were rendered obsolete by the advent of the underwing alternating black and white I.D. bands, although frequently both could be seen together. When did the first bubble tops start entering squadron service, fall 1943? Have you ever seen a bubble top with these chord-wise yellow bands? I know, never say never, right? If I had to make an educated guess I'd say this was a car door Typhoon.

Cheers,

Tom

Give that man a cigar! I have never seen the yellow ID bands on a bubble top,... ever.

Cheers,

Tom

That's a great spot regarding the wing stripe. Wasn't looking for anything like that originally