„BISMARCK“ – German’s battleship 1941 – 1/200 by Trumpeter,

elmarriachi

Looks terrific!!!!     I love the idea of the brass display knobs................good thing you knew you wanted them now, as to add them later I suspect it would be a MUCH bigger headache.

Also surprising the amount of OOB bumps and lumps on the bottom hull that need removing.

I hear ya'. I need to figure out a new name to call all of my languishing projects; I have dozens and dozens.

Where do you keep them all K2??    I would not only have a hard time finding places for them, but a hard time keeping all the pertinent bits together, so when I DID get back to that project, I could at least tell where I left off.

Where do you keep them all K2??    I would not only have a hard time finding places for them, but a hard time keeping all the pertinent bits together, so when I DID get back to that project, I could at least tell where I left off.

At the moment,... pretty much everywhere. Stored in boxes, packed up on shelves, perched on bookcases, hanging from the ceiling, you name it.

Just thinking about trying to show the horizontal panel lines on the hull as visible on the picture below ....

ship_bismark24_zpscf5egjz2.jpg

What do you think? It is mostly visible only the horizontal lines... the verticals are nearly nowhere visible.. or only little ..... 

Maybe trying to show the horizontal ones on the hull....

BR
Michael

Most of us who do 1/100 and 1/96th warships either mask each panel and use "hi build" primer or some have used super thin aluminum sheet and contact cement. The main thing is to study the original like you said and determine how they lap or butt against each other. Quality plans( from the originals) are available from several sources such as loyalhanna dockyard and the floating drydock. etc.

Keep up the good work.

Paul 

Next step - adding the bow which is consisting of two seperate parts. Then filling the gaps, also filling some areas on the hull as well. Then sanding the complete hull in several stages. Also sanding the eyebrows over the portholes, and the steps on the stern. I also filled the "Gruppenhorchgerät" GHG on both sides as the holes where completely wrong. 

After the complete hull was sanded smooth, I started drilling all the holes.... firstly I opend all portholes..... then I drilled the holes of the "Gruppenhorchgerät" with the Pontos template, and the holes for the later coming steps on the stern, also with templates from Pontos....

dsc_6334_1024x678shkyv.jpg

dsc_6356_1024x6784qkir.jpg

dsc_6363_1024x678cfj40.jpg

dsc_6357_1024x678vjjrx.jpg

dsc_6352_1024x678nbjwm.jpg

dsc_6360_1024x678jgkn1.jpg

Cheers

Micha

• 2 weeks later...
*** UPDATE ***

The two openigs for the smoke system at the stern were added ...

dsc_6383_1024x678x4kqe.jpg

The "Gruppenhorchgerät" (GHG) on both sides were finished, new filled, drilled and sanded several times .... 

dsc_6414_1024x678hij4l.jpg

dsc_6418_1024x678mlkji.jpg

Next I have opend all the holds for the cooling water system on both sides of the hulls. Used a knife, drill, files .... then test-fitted the etched parts from Pontos and glued these inside. The gaps were filled with putty and everything sanded also several times. From the inside painted black. Then I made "chests" with plastic card, painted also black inside and glued inside the hull. Now it is impossible to look through the hull when looking behind the meshs. 

dsc_6372_1024x678bxj12.jpg

dsc_6411_1024x678kqk23.jpg

dsc_6416_1024x678p1jn1.jpg

dsc_6421_1024x678hnj08.jpg

dsc_6422_1024x6789ek2z.jpg

In several stages I have sanded the hull under the water to get a 100% smooth surface, before starting with the etched parts ...

dsc_6419_1024x678ffkat.jpg

As I have decided against the brass stands for the display I have adjusted the already drilled holes for the new parts made of stainless steel. These are 4,5cm high, 1,2cm diameter. Perfect. These are parts from balcon handrails with core thread inside on both sides.

dsc_6427_1024x678qijtu.jpg

dsc_6430_1024x67809kfj.jpg

Next steps.... etched parts  :)

Cheers

Micha

Hello @ all.

a new update of my 1/200 Bismarck....

The maindeck was glued inside, several details removed for the mounting of the wooden deck, then everything fillered and sanded.

The portholes received their frames and eyebrows (Pontos) now. Tried to get all of them as accurate as possible... funny job :) 

Much more fun was the mounting of all the small etched climbing steps on the stern... each glued in the small holes which I have drilled before... 

BOW:

wv7leimoro9j.jpg

STERN:

ewk2w9jlxqjd.jpg

qujz332pt8ri.jpg

bebd99qyp6z1.jpg

xyyzwx7i5b9v.jpg

The next step will be the beginning of the painting which will start with a cloudy sprayed layer of black primer from Valleyo to make shure that the surface is clean. Also it will be a first preshading for the next steps of painting.

Cheers

Michael