Photo

As my compressor slowly weeps (need advice)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

In the US you trade the tank in for a freshly inspected and filled tank. You don’t pay for the inspection separately.

And you don’t need any kind of moisture trap. There’s zero moisture to trap, period.

That makes sense. I would hate to get a tank and have to have a required extra $40 or so every year. Thought it would be similar to how I normally work my propane tank for grilling..........just trade in the tank for a full/inspected tank VS filling the tank I turned in. 

#17 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 25,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

That makes sense. I would hate to get a tank and have to have a required extra $40 or so every year. Thought it would be similar to how I normally work my propane tank for grilling..........just trade in the tank for a full/inspected tank VS filling the tank I turned in. 

Right. I've never used the same tank twice. Pressure testing is mandatory for any tank you return when you get a refill (full, tested tank), and like I said, a refill is about $25, perhaps more, depending on what source you use. A full tank, lasts my Roommate and I, about two years.

• Out2gtcha likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#18 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

I would go for this: 

until you pile up some budget for a step-up and then you can still keep this one for emergencies or additional work. Otherwise  you would buy something that will do the same thing as before but at lower quality and then it would be tricky to move up since you would be paying for same thing with higher quality.

While if you get this from the vid, I think you will have some flexibility that is not available with the regular ones.

it seems interesting to me (even though I distrust a bit about small compressors)... does it include adapters to plug the Badger airbrushes? (I have a 25 y.o. Badger 100.F and a 175 Crescendo)

Edited by Luca, 14 November 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#19 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

Right. I've never used the same tank twice. Pressure testing is mandatory for any tank you return when you get a refill (full, tested tank), and like I said, a refill is about $25, perhaps more, depending on what source you use. A full tank, lasts my Roommate and I, about two years.

Ill definitely have to look into that. If I can pick up a tank for $100 or so (my little compressor is fast wearing out) and a pressure regulator for $50 - $100, I can see a $25 or so refill being worth it, especially if I only have to do it every year or two. 

I also really like the idea of no noise from the compressor kicking on and off too. 

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#20 JimRice

JimRice

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

I'm a  big fan of my California Air Tools Ultra Quiet Compressor.  Model 5510.  Extremely quiet and 5 gallon tank means it doesn't have to run that much once pumped up.  Bought it for around $150 on Lowe's website with free shipping to my house.

https://www.lowes.co...ASABEgIrH_D_BwE

Edited by JimRice, 14 November 2017 - 10:20 PM.

• Dragon likes this

#21 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:43 PM

The lack of moisture alone is worth the cost.  I've ruined many a day with a big **SPLAT** right in the middle of an otherwise perfectly good camouflage session.  

• Zero77 likes this

"It's all part of the show..."

#22 Nessus

Nessus

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

Gents, what pressure are the CO2 tanks filled to?

Cheers,

Brendan

#23 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:00 AM

CO2 is stored as a liquid under pressure, which boils off to form the gas.  At 72F, the pressure in the tank is around 860 psi.  

Don't let anyone tell you you have to have a two-stage regulator for CO2 airbrush use.  You simply don't.  

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

"It's all part of the show..."

#24 Hardcore

Hardcore

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:12 AM

The cheapest available compressor with tank is what I got. 90$ or so. Oh yeah, add a few dollars for a timer so that it fills the rack at a time when you are not at home. Cheaper and more quiet than those over rated silair 😀

#25 Nessus

Nessus

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:35 AM

Uhh, how do you figure its a liquid at 860 PSI, that is 60 bar. At 60 bar and 72 F (22 C or 295K), CO2 can't be anything but a gas according to its phase diagram

• GusM likes this

#26 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:08 AM

I use the Iwata Power Jet Pro. Super quiet, dual airbrush hook-ups, including dual moisture traps and pressure regulators. Has a 2 liter tank so keeps both airbrushes going. Absolutely love it!

• LSP_Typhoonattack and Eagle Driver like this
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#27 Eagle Driver

Eagle Driver

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

it seems interesting to me (even though I distrust a bit about small compressors)... does it include adapters to plug the Badger airbrushes? (I have a 25 y.o. Badger 100.F and a 175 Crescendo)

Nope. 1/8 is the standard for all widely used and also top-notch airbrushes and Badger are the ones that has to include adapters for their production line :)

DN-_Models-logo-200.png

#28 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Am I the only one that uses a shop compressor?  Fills flat tires, too.  Really loud for a few minutes (I never run it after dark, or before 9AM).  It has a water trap, too.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas, 15 November 2017 - 08:42 AM.

• Luca likes this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#29 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Am I the only one that uses a shop compressor?  Fills flat tires, too.  Really loud for a few minutes (I never run it after dark, or before 9AM).  It has a water trap, too.

Gaz

same problem! VERY noisy  :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by Luca, 15 November 2017 - 08:52 AM.

• Gazzas likes this

#30 Mark_C

Mark_C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

In the US you trade the tank in for a freshly inspected and filled tank. You don’t pay for the inspection separately.

That is not what I was told by the dealer I called to ask about refills.  They were specific about saying I needed to have my tank pressure tested.  They did not offer trade-ins.  As I said, YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users