Airfix 1:24 Harrier T.4

Hey everyone!

I thought you'd like to see what I'm working on at the moment, a 1:24 Harrier T.4.

This is a conversion that I've wanted to complete for over 30 years and so now I've decided to have a go. In essence it's an almost complete reworking of the 40 year old Airfix Harrier GR.1 into the two seat T.4 and so I have to build a new nose, scratchbuild the cockpits and then build an entirely new tail section - as well as a complete redetail of the remaining airframe and features. I've given myself around 5 months to complete this model, so here's hoping I can!

Though I'd love to detail it all on here, there's just too much information and too many pictures, so if you'd like to keep up with what's likely to be a very involved conversion, please follow the link and you'll find plenty more information! I'll also keep dropping some teasers onto here as well..

https://thekitbox.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/harrier-t-4-conversion-part-2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQeFAMdUVY

DSC_0853.jpg

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Hey everyone! I've completed some more work on my 1:24 Harrier T.4 conversion, today seeing me spend over 6 hours creating the structure on which the cockpit with be created. I knew it would be frustrating, but it took longer than I thought, but at least it's done and I can now start work on the detailing! The pile of bits next to the nose gives you some idea of how many attempts I needed to get the parts the correct size and shape... :)

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

Hey Everyone!

I've managed to grab a few hours on it today and almost completed the detailing of the starboard, front cockpit wall. This includes the remainder of the side console structure, wiring looms and pipework and the cover panels that I could see in the reference shots that David sent me.This will no doubt need a few more details here and there, but so far, so good. I've also blocked out some nonsense behind the instrument panel. Though much of this won't be seen and is in the main fiction, it's better than having a gaping hole back there. The rudder pedals need to be fabricated and they will conceal almost everything, so what is in there, should be enough! Next job - that rear bulkhead...

I hope you like it! :)

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

Hi Spencer,

the Harrier GR.3/T.4 are my all time favorite aircraft, and one day i will hope it will be available in 1/32.

But regarding your work : this is top work, very nice and crisp detailing, i like it allot. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I'm curious about the rest of your work mate.

Greetz

Danny

Hey everyone! Well, the plan this week was to spend at least two days on the cockpit of the Harrier T.4 and try and get the starboard walls, instrument panels and half of each rear bulkhead complete, and that's pretty much what I've done. Though it's not absolutely perfect (I've had a nightmare trying to work out where some of the cabling goes!), I'm happy that the interior captures the look of the images that I have to work from and that the major items are in place and complete. One thing that I have learned though is that scratchbuilding is around 50% construction and then 50% ripping out what you have completed because you are not entirely happy with your work! Honestly, there is at least one other perfectly serviceable 1:24 T.4 cockpit in the bin...

I'll be posting a Youtube video and Blog update on this tomorrow, but in the meantime, I hope you like what I've done so far.

Have a nice evening! :)

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg