JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

The coolest thing about the Viggen? If you realise you accidentally landed on the wrong runway, do a perfect three-point-turn as you learned in driving school and get away before somebody else notices... :lol:

;)

Now, just how cool is that? Brute force at it's best! Thanks for posting.

Well, there are a lot uf u/c photos online, and anything else visible at a walkaround on the ground.

But do you need cockpit images?

Regards

- dutik

I have quite a collection of pics from the net, but yes, I need more cockpit photos. Especially the area next to the bang seat and the seat itself are not well documented. So if you have such pics or can point me to a website I would be most grateful. And I guess, the same is true for Derek.

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

More stuff:

1052qsmz.jpg

Outside:

102ykshc.jpg

Inside (this is the intake duct seen from behind of the cockpit, i. e. sitting in front of the engine looking forward):

0570sswa.jpg

Chaff dispenser:

05629swf.jpg

and detail of its tail end:

098fzsdo.jpg

Wir koennen auch Deutsch schreiben, aber ich bleibe wegen der anderen Leute mal bei Holper-Englisch :)

Thats what I have at the moment. Images are from the "robot-museum" at Arboga (a remote village); i. e. the swedish "missle-museum". I have also images of a lot of missles there, V-1 to Nike, Sidewinder and AIM-54 phenix, and more. Tell me when in need.

I use to visit at least an airforce related museum every time I travel Sweden (two, when possible), but I've lost my images of the Air Force Museum at Linkoping and F-52(?) recce squadron museum due to a pc crash. Maybe I have a backup somewhere, but I am not sure about this. Took a lot of images before and after reconstruction at Linkoping, even from inside some cockpits. Just asked while the staff was working in there and got permission to come aboard :wub:

118xpslj.jpg

Enjoy!

- dutik

This going to be very good :popcorn:

I have just enlarged a J 37 drawing to 1/32 scale, and it is a large chunky aircraft already, so my imagination boggles at the thought of how large this thing will be in 1/24 scale! :wacko:

I'm with you on this one Rainer...

Cheers

Derek

Hi dutik, ja, lass uns ruhig in holperigem Englisch kommunizieren. Those photographs are absolutely awesome! Thanks for sharing those pics. They are very, very helpful!!

Cees, thanks for your kind words. I hope to live up to the high expectations. Not sure, though.

Derek, it is a large plane indeed. But size doesn't matter as they say.

Cheers

Rainer

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, very small update.

While I'm waiting for the liquid decal film (for the viper tail markings) to arrive I cleaned up the bench and reorganized the man cave to cope with a 1/24 scale Viggen :beer: . I also made up my mind how to start on the fuselage and managed to scale the drawings from Karlströms book. It became immediately clear, that I have way too little reference material for such a big bird. Anyhow, I started to sketch in the air intakes and the engine, like this:

JA-37_Side_view_STBD.jpg

JA-37_Bottom_view.jpg

This is all just eyeballing (Mk I, I'm afraid), but it doesn't look too far off to me.

The next step will be setting up a jig for the fuselage frame and stringer construction. Before cutting styrene I will do the frames in cardboard, just to make sure I get the basic shape (fairly) correct.

I guess, there will be a lot of trial and error involved in this project.

Thanks for looking

Rainer

It looks very good to me Rainer :goodjob: (I shall, of course, be 'borrowing' your work to help me with mine, and incidentally, I find with all of my Saab builds that I have to take the same approach as yourself - Starting with the internals first!).

Derek

1/24 and 1/32 Viggens in the same group build. I can't believe it could get better. Thanks for letting all of us watch the creation of this amazing plane.

Tnarg

It looks very good to me Rainer :goodjob: (I shall, of course, be 'borrowing' your work to help me with mine, and incidentally, I find with all of my Saab builds that I have to take the same approach as yourself - Starting with the internals first!).

Derek

Feel free to borrow everthing you like, Derek. When I'm finished with my initial research I can send you the files as PDF so you can easily downscale them to 1/32.

1/24 and 1/32 Viggens in the same group build. I can't believe it could get better. Thanks for letting all of us watch the creation of this amazing plane.

Tnarg

You are welcome. But this one won't be finished within the timeframe of this GB, so you'll need a lot of patience.

Cheers

Rainer

G'day gents,

while I'm waiting for some coat of Liquid Decal Film to dry (for my Viper tail) I decided I could as well make a start on the Viggen.

I am building a jig to set up the fuselage frames. So far the frames are just cardboard. Only when I'm reasonably sure that the basic shape of the frames is more or less correct will I cut styrene.

The frames are based on the cross sections in Björn Karlströms book. However, so far not a single one of the cross sections corresponded to the side and top/bottom views. Since I trust the plan views more than the cross sections I'm going to modify the frames so they fit the plan views.

The frame marked "F" in the pic below is way off. It will have to be corrected. However, I will first fill in all the gaps between those major frames (there will be 21 frames in total).

JA-37_fuse_001.jpg

Not much, but it is a start.

Oh, yes, since it has become customary to include a beer can / beer bottle for size comparison I've done that as well :innocent:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I will do the spine separately, so the frames do not include the spine. And the thrust reverser section will be separate as well.

Thanks for looking.

Rainer

Nice start Rainer :speak_cool:

I will be pretty well following you in terms of build practice with my Lilldraken - I also have found the same issues (from the same artist) with my Saab 210 drawing cross-sections as well and I have had to modify his drawings quite substantially in ares just to make evrything fit where it should (I have forgotten just how long it takes to drawn everything by hand!). Once I have completed my ejection seat and cokpit layout drawings, I think that I shall be in a position to start drawing up and cutting plastic card.

Cheers

Derek

Nice start Rainer :speak_cool:

Quite wrong, Derek.

I realized, that I had to start again, from scratch, so to speak. The cross sections hat were based on the drawings by Björn Karlström were just crap (should have know right at the beginning :blowup: So I discarded my first attempt to build a jig and drew all the cross sections myself:

JA-37_fuse_002.jpg

I am not yet happy with frame H, it is still way off. But the others seem reasonable to me though they will need some refinement.

You will notice, that I didn't include the cannon housing (yellow outline in the sideview). I will do the housing separately. But I guess that I will, contrary to what I said in my post above, include the spine. Also I will do the intakes fwd of frame H separately, so frames E, F and G don't show the intake.

I should be almost ready to cut styrene now.

Thanks for looking

Rainer

Excellent work Rainer :thumbsup:

In your position, I would have done the same, as I also could not live with incorrect shapes (I only have four on the Saab 210, so they could be miles out and there are so few that I guess that the actual shape is unknown). Starting again is always the best way when things cannot be easily corrected.

I love your computer generated images - I wish that I had a program like that...Pencil and paper for me I'm afraid!

Cheers

Derek