Eduard 1/32 Bf 109e-3

TaffyMan

Okay A bit more :D

So after much :fight: pushing and grunting plus the usual expletives ("Just !!!***??@£££$%% fit!!!!" or words to that effect! :innocent: ) added up to rubbing off loads of the paint on the heigh spots.

027-ME109e3_zpskd4ezbnd.jpg

So in the end to help I cut off, as neat as I could the covers that go over the nose guns. This allowed me to get inside to help get the nose top cowl on and sit as best as I could get it!

Lesson two

I would build this differently next time put the top engine cowl on first - then the two sides and finally the one that goes over the gun

Next thing try and clean up the mess that I had made.

With the gun covers back in place I smeared some gloop made from grated sprue and liquid glue along the cut. I hoped that once it dried it would be more secure and being the same plastic easier to re-scribe

028-ME109e3_zpsi6jkypts.jpg

029-ME109e3_zpsb7ldpxb5.jpg

Also note I have repainted the nose again and given it a coat of clear with the hope that the paint will be less fragile this time

After a good couple of days to dry this got rubbed back smooth - ready for the re-scribe

030-ME109e3_zpslkkzcnoo.jpg

Then on to the gap that I had made down the edge - This got filled with some gash thin card. I just glued the back edge to make sure there was a line down the front edge.

031-ME109e3_zpspgargcsw.jpg

After trimming with a sharp blade and some wet and dry followed with Mr Surface - I then the re-scribe it. That was about the best I could do - still not very good at this re-scribe stuff!

032-ME109e3_zpscuddrlls.jpg

So after all that pain I thought I would go and do something more simple and with less chance of me cocking it up - The nav lights on the wings. These are moulded on to the wings - so carefully trimmed them off and then drilled the same size holes. I used some stretched clear pieces of sprue to glue into the holes.

033-ME109e3_zpsox9rceug.jpg

With a bit of trimming, rubbing back and polishing.

034-ME109e3_zpsuc68xel5.jpg

So thats it for this update I have got more as I have moved her along but not sorted the pics out yet!!! So till next time Happy Modelling - Taff :D

Nice looking Mosquito. Revell kit? What's the rectangular piece above the exhaust on the 109? I don't recall having seen that before, but I'll be eyeballing my references shortly.

Hi Kevin - No not Revell thats the big Airfix version - my first one back after something like twenty years! 

The bits above the exhausts are the access panels.

Cheers - Taff :D

Hi Kevin - No not Revell thats the big Airfix version - my first one back after something like twenty years! 

The bits above the exhausts are the access panels.

Cheers - Taff :D

OK, thanks. It's hard to guess which kit is which. As to the panels, I was unaware of that, and am still checking my documentation.

(I just confirmed that panel, using my Aeroguide book.) Odd that I had never noticed it before. Even though you appear to have it sorted, I'm still looking for photos of the spine. As others have said, it is certainly visible in some photos.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks – Slooooowwwwlllllly moving this one along. Been trying to do a bit regularly on each Friday night …… Great idea that lasted about fortnight before life and wife etc shoot that one down in flames! So not as much as I was hoping but here we go with the bits done so fare – and finger crossed some more progress this Friday!

Seem to have some pics missing with putting the wings and tail feathers on her? :hmmm:

Must be the Oldtimers again! So, as I couldn't resist seeing her face I pushed the finished spinner on.

035-ME109e3_zpsa63oshfq.jpg

Uhmmmm like-en-that Hope you did? :D

So now back to the other bits. I have noticed how a lot of you guys with your WNW wonders emphasise the canvas ribbed parts with masking them off. Looking at these I thought I would have a go with this on the non-metal flight surfaces.

Okay after loads of fiddling (you lot that do WNW must have the will power of a horse to go through this) bits stuck to fingers, elbows, foreheads and many other parts……. other than the bits that I was trying to stick it too. I finally got it done

Oh also forgot to say I primed these with gray rather than the aluminium to try and make the top colours appear a bit more dull.

036-ME109e3_zpsvxzsxb1x.jpg

Then I Pre-shade these with a dark gray. After it had dried I removed the tape and got this. Came out a bit strong – but then with my ham-fisted industrial painting technique should blend this away quite nicely.  :lol:

037-ME109e3_zpspintdmlk.jpg

So whilst I had the airbrush loaded up I went ahead and pre-shaded the rest of her

038-ME109e3_zpsirvu21qh.jpg

With the bottom I used my usual dark gray mix for the outer areas and added a bit of brown to this for the areas around the wheel apertures and the centre of the fuselage.

039-ME109e3_zpsfa5cupme.jpg

Okay for part 1 back in a mo - Taff :D

Okay - A bit more.

After letting this dry of over night, it was time to start putting some colour on – a bit of RLM 65. Started with the under-side of the flight surfaces and some other bits. My stripes didn't look too strong! Amazing how I can kill subtly effects with paint! :wacko:

042-ME109e3_zpsjjkzz256.jpg

So more colour on the bottom and sides

041-ME109e3_zps00wlxscd.jpg

043-ME109e3_zpsbo4deiqb.jpg

Quite nice and just enough show through – plus I've got put those pesky blotches on yet!

After a clean of the brush, I thought I might as well do the tail rudder. First a light coat of flesh pink – then after this had dried a coat of Xtra-colour 04. Uhmmmmm that Yellow takes an age to go off!

040-ME109e3_zpspsqakjkz.jpg

She was once again left over night to dry. Then it was 02 time! I started with the spine as I thought this would be easier to cover any mess that I made on the wings from doing the splodges.

So I needed to masking of first. For this I used tape and paper.

044-ME109e3_zpshimouwes.jpg

045-ME109e3_zpsjqxkj6zl.jpg

Okay Guys and Girls – that's all for this one. I have finished all the upper surface painting but not processed the picture yet so I'll get to it and try and get them up ASAP. – So till next time happy modelling – Taff :D

Nice job so far. Looks pretty cool to me.

Cheers Kevin - don't look to close I keep doing that and thinking what the king is that bit and how did i miss it!

Like the Mig - looking forward to seeing that one come to gether.

Taff :D

Hi Peeps some more progress to bring you up-to-date with where I am at.

I finished the splodge on the sides - and no I didn't enjoy the experience!!! My Airbrush decided that at this point that it would just spit and splutter no matter what. I have no idea why? :shrug:

I did nothing different to what I usually do…….. So stripped it down and cleaned but no change - still spitty  :fight:

So just went for it and finished it with the best of a bad lot. So there I was cussing and considering wether should I get a new brush? So I gave it another go on my paint mule and murphy's law ….. no problems - nice smooth flow!!!! Go figure! :hmmm:

With the Fus done I moved on to the wings, tail plane and flight surfaces. masked off and sprayed on the 02

047-ME109e3_zpsagyvyeuk.jpg

048-ME109e3_zps32qlcwnp.jpg

049-ME109e3_zpspvvtezr2.jpg

After a over night dry it was back on to masking for the dark green 70

050-ME109e3_zpsgoevwyya.jpg

051-ME109e3_zpsqjdr76d5.jpg

052-ME109e3_zps2ptv473z.jpg

Then a pic off all the masking off and the spinner just put on.

053-ME109e3_zpsqvogbami.jpg

Once again the fragility of the Yellow is turning in to a real PIA. After the first problems way back at the begging I decided to give it a coat of gloss. But as you can see in the pic It still wore off and chipped from were I used the masked nose section to hold her whilst I painted the rest

054-ME109e3_zpsxe0ks8zq.jpg

055-ME109e3_zpsdf1quttc.jpg

So back to masking of the nose. First a light dusting of pink on the effected areas.

056-ME109e3_zpsssfiuavk.jpg

I let this dry off over night. It was then rubbed back and yet (and I hope last) light blast of Yellow

057-ME109e3_zpsiypbcuyt.jpg

That is all up to date - ill leave this yellow for a couple of days as this Xtra-Colour yellow seems to take ages to go off!!!

So till the next time happy Days all!!!! :D