Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

Guest Airfixer

I'd go with RLM 76 painted undersides.

Partially unpainted wing undersides are photographically documented throughout the G-10 series - Erla, WNF/Diana and Messerschmitt.

Only one example of partially painted underwing surfaces - Erla Bf 109G-10, W.Nr.491407, A.N.R.

jhDr7TU.jpg

If you feel better with RLM 76, go for it!

Due to the lack of photographs of the undersides of Hartmann's mount, speculation/RLM 76 is your friend.

Edited by Airfixer

Thanks for the helpful comments.  I guess RLM 76 undersides is a good choice.  I'll probably go with that.  Getting closer to painting as I add the final details to the cockpit before closing it up.  I've added the little lights on the forward cockpit walls.  I lost the resin pieces to the carpet monster.  I cut off the lights from the kit cockpit sidewalls since they weren't used and proceeded to lose one of those as well.  I fashioned one out of a 1/48 machine gun barrel.  Futzing with those lights also knocked out the optical glass from the Revi sight so I had to cut some new ones from clear acetate.  Can't see it well but I painted the edges of the rear glass a clear blue/green.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

The clear canopy parts can now be glued into place.  I've also attached the horizontal stabs and wing ailerons.  Those middle flaperons are just snapped into place for now.

IMG_1600.jpg

One the bottom, the center panels including the ammo chute openings have been glued into place.

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

I'll have to do some minor fill work on that bottom panel area as well as the windscreen and canopy.  But I'm that much closer to painting!

Edited by Thunnus

Upon looking at the close-up pics of the exhausts, I wasn't quite happy with the results, so I decided to do a little more work on them.  I resprayed them with Duraluminum but sprayed lightly so that it did not cover the previous work entirely.  I thought this might create a little more depth.

IMG_1620.jpg

The exhausts were given a re-mist of Exhaust Manifold.

IMG_1621.jpg

And again, the bases were sprayed with a darker metallic color.

IMG_1622.jpg

The dry-dabbing of the rusty color was performed more carefully this time, making sure that my splotches were not as big.

IMG_1623.jpg

Finally, the tips of the pipes were highlighted with black.

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

A test fit onto the fuselage to see how the painted exhausts look.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

I hope the LSP community is having a wonderful holiday season!

The Erla G-10 build continues although the busy holidays are keeping many of us from spending too much time on the workbench, including me!  I've put a coat of primer (Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner) on the G-10 prior to starting the painting. As usual, the primer revealed a lot of little errors that need correction before I start painting so I've been addressing those.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

I don't always primer the entire model before painting but on my last build, I experienced some paint lifting during the masking of the markings and I wanted to avoid that here.  One thing I didn't like about the primer coat is that it seemed to be burying the rivet detail little by little.  I backed off on the application of the primer so that's why it looks a bit splotchy.  I've decided to carefully re-do the rivets which is taking a lot of time.  It's a pain trying to wheel the Rivet-R exactly over the existing holes.

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

So I'm inching towards the paint stage of this build.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get some paint on within the next few days.

IMG_1642.jpg

Edited by Thunnus